Payment: $2.00 per 1,000 words, up to a maximum of $20.00 per short story (10,000 or more words)
We are accepting Short Stories and Sample Previews in the Science Fantasy genre for our monthly digital magazine! Please read the submission rules and requirements below prior to submission.
All content must fall into one of the science fantasy sub-genres below. This includes short story, preview and related content.
Visit this post for detailed information about the following subgenres:
- Alternate History
- Myths & Legends
- Portal Fiction
- Space Opera
- Urban Fantasy
- Short Stories
- Must be between 1,000 and 10,000 words.
- Must be a complete short story with beginning, middle and end.
- Must be 10% or less of the finished product or less than 15,000 words, whichever is less.
- Complete title must be available for pre-order or sale at the time of submission or submitter must specify when it will be available for pre-order (must be prior to publication of the issue).
- Related Content
- Must be greater than 300 words but less than 5,000 words.
- Must be related to science fantasy.
- Can fall into any of the following sub-categories:
- Book reviews (either print or audio)
- Movie reviews
- Television series reviews (not individual episodes – season review or greater)
- Video game reviews
- Author interviews
Submitter must submit a biography in third person that will be placed at the end of their submission if it is accepted for publication. It should include a brief introduction to the submitter and one or two links to where the submitter can be found on the Internet.
Please keep biographies under 300 words.
Submission Review Process
SciFan™ Magazine will review all submissions received. Please allow a 3-6 week reading period before inquiring.
SciFan™ Magazine reserves the right to reject any and all content received and makes no guarantees whatsoever regarding automatic acceptance of content. However, below are general guidelines the editors at SciFan™ Magazine use:
For Short Stories and Sample Previews:
Each entry will be judged according to the following levels. Level 1 takes precedent over Level 2 and Level 3, but is not the only factor.
- Enlightened SciFan™: Magical or paranormal properties are fused with technology in order to manipulate and magnify the magic.
- Standard SciFan™: Magic is fused with technology, but not necessarily in a coherent sense.
- Soft SciFan™: Magic and Technology are merely present in the same realm.
In addition to the level of fusion of magic and technology, the editors of SciFan™ Magazine look for the following things:
- Should jump right into the middle of a scene to grab reader attention
- Should be fast-paced to keep reader attention.
- No opening backstory. These are meant to be short stories.
- Must be engaging. It needs to be able to engage readers.
Short Stories in The SciFan™ Universe
Each issue of the SciFan™ Magazine will also feature an exclusive Short Story from The SciFan™ Universe that will be included in our annual anthology. If interested in this exclusive opportunity, find out more details here.
For Related Content:
- Reviews should be engaging and informative but without blatant spoilers.
- Author interviews should be conducted in a professional manner.
Formatting & Editing
Submissions should be in Microsoft Word or a Microsoft Word-compatible document type. The content should be double spaced in 12 point or larger font of a serif (like Times New Roman) font type.
Submissions should be self-edited and generally error-free. The prose should be tight and the plot intriguing. SciFan™ Magazine reserves the right to perform edits of grammar and spelling upon acceptance but will not materially change the content of submissions.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted however please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere
Submitters of short stories certify their content is exclusive (never before published online or no longer available online). Once accepted, SciFan™ Magazine will publish the short story in an issue of SciFan™ Magazine within one year of the date of acceptance (see Publishing Rights below). Once the short story is published in SciFan™ Magazine, SciFan™ Magazine obtains six months exclusivity from date of publication on Amazon.com.
By submitting to SciFan™ Magazine, submitters grant permission for their short story to be, if accepted, included in an upcoming issue of SciFan™ Magazine up to one year after date of acceptance. SciFan™ Magazine also retains the right to include the submitter’s short story in future anthologies or collections of SciFan™ Magazine issues into a larger compilation.
Submitters retain all legal rights to their content. SciFan™ Magazine does not take ownership of publishing rights by accepting submissions.
SciFan™ Magazine is pleased to offer payment for accepted Short Stories. The payment schedule is as follows: $2.00 per 1,000 words, up to a maximum of $20.00 per short story (10,000 or more words). Payment is made through PayPal at the time a submission is accepted.
*Disclaimer: Sample Previews and Related Content will not receive any payouts, but will receive exclusive exposure.
- Taking Submissions: Urban Crime - September 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: American Gothic - September 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: 2100 A Health Odyssey Contest - September 24, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Zooscape - September 24, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Nanoism - September 24, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 09/23/2018 - September 23, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… An Interview with Dean M. Drinkel - September 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Black Labyrinth Anthology I : Possession - September 21, 2018
- Video Refresh: Finding Your Identity - September 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City - September 20, 2018