Deadline: June 15th, 2018
Payment: $10-20 and a contributor’s copy
DEADLINE: 15 JUNE 2018
AIR surrounds us.
Invisible but everywhere, AIR can be gentle and playful spirit, or an aggressive and destructive force.
Winds lift and move water, driving the storms and waves that irrigate crops and shape shorelines.
The breeze can transport seeds, fertilizing the earth and spreading life in its wake.
AIR feeds fire, gives life to its burning creativity.
Our words and music vibrate within AIR; its gusts allow our species to communicate and sing with one and other.
AIR fills the spaces within our lives, it is the element that whispers dreams and lets the world dance.
TRANSMUNDANE PRESS is searching for stories centered on and about AIR for the next anthology in our series focusing on the classic alchemic elements, EARTH, AIR, FIRE, and WATER.
We enjoy reading well-crafted fantasy, horror, erotic, and science fiction tales, and we’re looking for authors with clean, heavily-edited writing to showcase alongside our established contributors.
Let your imagination squall and launch you IN THE AIR.
We’re only accepting 30-40 stories for this anthology.
Send stories that are heavily edited and ready for us to read.
These must be original pieces for first-time publication.
Limit of two submissions per person, if you have more, make a note of it in your email, and we’ll ask if we’re interested.
WORD COUNT: between 3,000 and 7,000 words.
- Your submissions must be in 12 point, Times New Roman font, double-spaced with page numbers.
- We like headers in the top right corner with your last name and page numbers so that your work can’t get jumbled up.
- A title page with author information: address, e-mail, phone number, word count, a brief author bio, and your platform links.
SUBMITTING THE FILE: word doc, docX, or RTF to [email protected]. Your submission file should be saved as AIR_LAST NAME_STORY TITLE so we can easily find your work during the consideration and editing process. (example: AIR_SMITH_THE JUMP)
RATE OF PAY: $10-20, depending on length, and author copies: one physical and one electronic.
PUBLICATION DATE: WINTER 2018/2019
FORMATS OF PUBLICATION: trade paperbacks, limited edition hard cover, e-book, and .pdf versions will be available through Amazon and at transmundanepress.com.
MARKETING INFO: Transmundane Press hosts a lot of marketing opportunities for authors involved with our publications, such as giveaways, author interviews, and blog tours, etc. We encourage our authors to maintain an active social media presence as well as a website to help promote themselves and the publication. We are also open to your ideas and suggestions to help get the word out about this exciting publication.
Good luck! We can’t wait to read your work.
Via: Transmundane Press.
Deadline: May 28th, 2018
Payment: Prose- $0.02/word, $0.01/word after 500 words., Poetry- $0.50/line, $0.25/line after 20 lines.
Cross + Decay is now accepting work for Issue 2: (How To Survive In) The Woods. The deadline is May 28 2018.
Submission Guidelines: Cross+Decay is a literary and art magazine, welcoming poetry, prose, and artwork. The work must adhere to the issue’s theme, but it is up to the interpretation of the creator to decide what work best fits that theme and would be most relevant.
- Prose can be fiction or non-fiction, 500-1000 words (maximum 1000). Prose must be clearly formatted, and fully edited, including spell-checking and proper grammar. Previously published work is welcome, as long as rights have reverted back to the writer. Work exceeding 1000 words will automatically be rejected.
- Visual art can be of any medium, including photography and photographs of three-dimensional work. Work must be attached as .jpegs. Artists can submit their work with watermarks or as lower quality files, but the images must represent what the work would look like in print, and must be able to be sent as a high quality .jpeg if accepted (300 dpi, and at least 2000 pixels square).
- Creators are welcome to submit multiple works, but they must all be submitted at the same time, and within the same email.
Payment: Accepted creators will be paid for their work.
- Prose- $0.02/word, $0.01/word after 500 words.
- Poetry- $0.50/line, $0.25/line after 20 lines.
- Artwork- $15/selected digital file.
All creators will continue to have full rights to their work.
Please email submissions to [email protected], with full name, a short bio, and information relevant to understanding the work (if needed). If you have any further questions, please send an email to the above address.
Submissions close May 28 2018 at 11:59 PM MST. Late submissions are automatically rejected.
Via: Cross And Decay.
Deadline: August 31st, 2018
Payment: $5 per printed page
Geek Out! will be published in print & ebook (compatible with the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kobo, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows devices in addition to PDF and other downloadable formats and web-viewable formats.)
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully before submitting your work to Geek Out. If you have any questions not answered below, please write us at [email protected] and we will be happy to answer.
- Where queer meets geek. Whatever you geek out about, we want to read it!
- Genre Fiction (e.g. scifi, fantasy, western, noir, horror)
- Poetry: slam poems and non-traditional formats
- Creative Nonfiction (non-memoir based): opinion essays, topical articles, reviews, comedy
- Comics / Graphic short stories (black & white only)
- Scripts: short teleplays, screenplays, video scripts, etc.
Not Looking For
We are not looking for work in the following genres for this particular publication. (See our other Submission Guidelines homepage for other publications with upcoming deadlines seeking work in these genres.)
- Literary Fiction
- Memoir-based Nonfiction
- Traditional Poetry
Additionally, we never accept work in the following genres:
- work intended for Children
- Prose: up to 5,000 words
- Flash Non-fiction: 1 page or less
- Poetry: up to 3 pages (per poem)
- Comics & Scripts: up to 10 pages
- Submissions of longer than 10 pages must be numbered.
- All submissions must be typed. No handwritten submissions will be accepted.
- If you send your submission in, please do NOT mail us your only copy of your work. We can not be responsible for returning submissions.
- Multiple submissions (submissions of more than one work) are fine. Send us what you’ve got!
- Simultaneous submissions (submitting work you’ve already submitted–or are planning on submitting–elsewhere) are fine too.
- Please just be sure that if your submission gets accepted elsewhere, you contact us at [email protected] to withdraw it from consideration for Geek Out!
- Reprints will NOT be considered.
- We are seeking First English Anthology Rights and First World Anthology Rights in print and ebook formats.
- NOTE: These rights only allow the material to be used in the anthology and its reprints, and the writer retains all rights to their work not specified here (i.e. in the contract), including copyright to their work.
- We are also seeking, for all material, Non-exclusive Excerpt Rights (for the purposes of promoting the Anthology on the website).
- We will respond to all submissions by September 1, 2018.
- Contributors will receive $5 per printed page.
What to Submit
- Your submission
- A brief bio telling us something about you and (if applicable) any publishing experience
- At least one form of contact information (phone number, email, or mailing address. Please do not give a social media account handle as your only form of contact information.
- IMPORTANT: Pen names are acceptable. However, for contractual purposes, all submissions must also include the author’s legal name.
Where to Submit
Submissions may be emailed to us at: [email protected]
or mailed to us at:
PO Box 454
Lanesborough, MA 01237
AGAIN, MAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RETURNED
1 cent per word
Penny a word. Reprints or original.
It has to be less than 5000 words.
You have to entertain me. And be weird.
It has to work for audio without losing the audience.
You have to anonymize your manuscript to have it read.
You need a PayPal account to get paid.
There is a contract. I’m asking for nonexclusive audio, archiving, print, and electronic rights. You retain your copyright.
Send as docx or rtf attachment to [email protected].
Via: The Bizarro Sideshow Podcast.
What We Want:
We are a quarterly zine interested in Extreme Horror, Splatterpunk, Bizarro, LGBTIQ+, Pornorotica (yes, we made that up, but you know what we mean!), freaky fantasy worlds and futures, ridiculous mash-ups, or anything just plain weird.
Dark, twisted, and disturbing stories that push the envelope and explore the far reaching limits of the unnerving side of humanity. The things that people won’t talk about in polite company. The things that we all think about but refuse to acknowledge. Bring it to the light, let us look at it directly in the eye, and if we like what we see, we want it.
What We Don’t Want:
Don’t mistake permissiveness for blithe acceptance. We don’t want your gross-out rape fantasies, sick fuck bullshit unless there’s a good reason for it. We want art! And please don’t send us your boring-ass zombie stories. The world has enough of them.
We’re interested in a wide range of lengths, from 1,000 word flash pieces up to 10,000 words. We would also be willing to accept longer stories on a case-by-case basis. A token payment of $10 will be issued upon publication. We retain worldwide first publishing rights on your story for both electronic and print, along with electronic and print reprint rights for any future anthologies we may publish. After first publication, rights would immediately revert back to the author.
We do not accept previously published stories. Simultaneous submissions are fine as long as we are made aware if the story is accepted elsewhere. Multiple submissions are accepted as well, provided that you let us know and do not send more than three stories at the same time.
Send your submissions as attachments to [email protected] in either .doc/.docx or .rtf format following the standard manuscript format. We hope to hear from you!
– H. J. Bartels & A. Fletcher Harper
Via: Underbelly Zine.
Deadline: July 1st, 2018
Payment: $0.01 per word
Nexxis Fantasy is looking for talented authors and artists to contribute to our next anthology.
Submission deadline is July 1st. Anthology will launch July 31st.
We are only accepting completed works at this time. Please email your submissions to the email address below. You are open to submit anything you feel fits into the science fiction genre and would fit our next anthology titled “Corporate Shadows”.
GENRES: Open to Speculative Fiction (works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements); Suspense/Thriller; Supernatural/Horror; or Science Fiction (or some combination of any of those genres) is acceptable.
THEME: This anthology’s title is “Corporate Shadows” and is inspired by the recent net neutrality rulings. How you interpret that is up to you!
SPECIFICALLY UNACCEPTABLE GENRES: Romance/Erotica, Middle School, Biographical, Autobiographical, Memoirs, Poetry, Non-Fiction, Western, or Pornography.
WORD COUNT: 2,000 to 15,000 words.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES:
- Standard manuscript format.
- Submissions must be made as .doc or .docx attachment only and NOT copied into the body of the email. Only electronic submissions accepted.
- In accordance with Arc Book Club’s standards, stories containing pedophilia, bestiality, overtly descriptive rape, or graphic gore will not be considered.
- Factors in anthology acceptance:
- How well it fits the theme of a given book;
- Quality of the story based on characterization, conflict, TWIST at the end, and how engaging it is;
- Word count, length, and formatting (while minor considerations, it indicates a certain professionalism about the craft);
- Technical writing quality: sentence and story structure, pacing, split infinitives, an overabundance of adjectives, adverbs, similes, filter words, etc.
- Quality of the manuscript’s editing/proofreading (again, both indications of professionalism about the craft)
- Failure to submit story according to guidelines will be cause for immediate rejection.
- Multiple story submissions are accepted if individually submitted in compliance with guidelines.
- Non-Exclusivity – the rights to the short story are kept by the author. Arc Book Club reserves the right to continue to reprint the anthology, but the author may also shop the story to other markets with the understanding that it may still be in print with ABC.
- Multiple authors – one story may have multiple authors, but only one royalty check per story will be distributed and one electronic copy of the book. It is up to the multiple coauthors to figure out how to divvy that up.
- Compensation – will be to a PayPal account only.
- SUBMISSION EMAIL SUBJECT LINE SHOULD READ: Nexxis Fantasy – Story Title –
Author first initial, last name. All submissions are to be sent to [email protected].
- SUBMISSIONS OPEN: March 1, 2018
- SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: July 1, 2018 (5:00 PM EST)
- SELECTION PERIOD: Wednesday, July 7, 2018 Acceptance or rejection notifications will be sent out then.
- CONTRIBUTOR COMPENSATION: $0.01 per word for submissions selected for inclusion. Payable upon book going on sale (estimated date: mid August, 2018).
Via: Nexxis Fantasy.