Taking Submissions: JOURN-E Volume #1
Deadline: December 21st, 2021
Payment: 1 cent per word
Theme: Adventure, detection and mystery, fantasy, horror and the supernatural, and science fiction
JOURN-E: THE JOURNAL OF IMAGINATIVE LITERATURETM
- FIRST OF ALL: READ ALL OF THE GUIDELINES BELOW BEFORE SUBMITTING. COMPLY WITH ALL OF THEM WHEN SUBMITTING.
- ONLY PREVIOUSLY UNPUBLISHED WORK will be considered.
- SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS ARE ALLOWABLE, but if the work is accepted by another publication, it is expected that the author/poet/artist will immediately contact JOURN-E about the acceptance by another publishing entity. Failure to do so will result in no further acceptance of material for JOURN-E.
- First World Publication Rights (both online and in print) are expected. With the acknowledgement that the online version will remain available for the life of the publication in its archive of issues. Reprint/Republication rights will be re-negotiated in the event of a “Best Of” future print and/or online publication. All other rights revert to the creator of the work.
- WORD COUNT RANGES: We are looking for SHORT FICTION in the general range between 3000 to 7000 words, with the median of 5000. We are looking for SCHOLARLY NON-FICTION ARTICLES OF LITERARY CRITICISM relevant to the genres covered in a general range of from 2500 to 5000 words, with a median of 3750. We are looking for REVIEWS relevant to the genres covered in a range from 500 to 2000 words, with a median of 1250. We are looking for POETRY of between 3 and 210 lines (the length of a “Wreath of Sonnets”) with the preference in the case of longer poems for narrative and descriptive poetry over personal, especially introspective, lyric.
- NOTE: A little leeway might be granted either below or above the abovelisted parameters.
- ALL TEXT DOCUMENTS should be formatted in TIMES NEW ROMAN, TIMES ROMAN, COURIER, or COURIER NEW in 12 point type with 1 inch margins all around. Files containing Prose or Poetry should be set in .doc, .docx, .rtf, OR .odt [Open Office] format.
- IMPORTANT: Be sure to include your contact information: Name, Address, Email Address, (telephone optional)at the top of Page 1 of any submitted manuscript.
- PROSE DOCUMENTS (either fiction or non-fiction) should be DOUBLE-SPACED with PARAGRAPHS INDENTED .25 INCH (NO SKIPS OF LINES BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS).
- POETRY should be SINGLE SPACED, WITH SKIPS OF LINES BETWEEN STANZAS OR SECTIONS. Any IRREGULAR SPACINGS SHOULD BE SHOWN in the attached document.
- NO MORE THAN TWO (2) SUBMISSIONS OF ANY PROSE WORK (SHORT FICTION, SCHOLARLY LITERARY CRITICISM ARTICLE, OR REVIEW WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM ANY INDIVIDUAL IN ANY SUBMISSION CYCLE. NO MORE THAN THREE (3) POEMS WILL BE ACCEPTED DURING ANY SUBMISSION CYCLE.
- ALL ART/ILLUSTRATION SHOULD BE SUBMITTED IN 300 DPI RESOLUTION. ACCEPTED FORMATS: .JPG, .GIF, OR /.PNG
- Interior Illustrations, if submitted in color, will be converted to greyscale for the PRINT VERSION, but full color illustrations are welcome for the interior illustrations for the ONLINE VERSION.
- COVER ART MUST BE IN FULL COLOR [RGB for online, converted to CMYK for print (OR VICE VERSA). The format is Trade Paperback for the print version of JOURN-E, so dimensions should be in that 6 by 9 proportion.
- A SUBJECT LINE SHOULD APPEAR BELOW THE CONTACT INFORMATION ACROSS THE TOP OF THE FIRST PAGE. IT SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING, IN ORDER AND SEPARATED BY HYPHENS OR UNDERSCORES::
- Type of Work:
- Review, OR
- Intended Section of JOURN-E
- Detection & Mystery,
- Horror & the Supernatural, OR
- Science Fiction
- Your Last Name
- Fiction-Detection & Mystery-Christie
- Poetry_Horror & the Supernatural_Lovecraft
- Type of Work:
- A BRIEF BIOGRAPHICAL BLURB (100 TO 250 WORDS) SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN YOUR TEXT FILE SUBMISSION AFTER THE SUBMITTED MATERIAL AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCROLL, OR IN ADDITION TO ANY ART/ILLUSTRATION SUBMISSION IN A SEPARATE .DOC, .DOCX, .RTF, or .ODT [Open Office] FORMAT.
- In each year, you can expect a response of either acceptance or non-acceptance of submitted work NO SOONER THAN NOVEMBER 15 and NO LATER THAN JANUARY 31 for submissions for the VERNAL EQUINOX Issue; NO SOONER THAN MAY 15 AND NO LATER THAN JULY 31 for the AUTUMNAL EQUINOX Issue.
- ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SENT THROUGH OUR SUBMITTABLE SERVICE.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: As ANY type of submission in ANY of the five genre sections is filled in ANY given submission cycle, a notification of such with specifics on which areas are CLOSED will be posted both here on the SUBMISSIONS page AND at the Mind’s Eye Publications FACEBOOK PAGE.
- One (1) cent per word for prose fiction and non-fiction, BUT with the following maximums:
- Up to $50.00 maximum for short stories;
- up to $35 maximum for scholarly articles;
- up to $15 maximum for reviews.
- Poetry from 3-10 lines–$5.00.
- Poetry from 11-50 lines–50 cents per line.
- Poetry over 50 lines–$25.00 plus 25 cents per line over 50 lines.
- Interior Illustrations–$25-$50.00 (half-page to full-page).
- Cover Art in Full RGB Color–$100 [will be commissioned, or the illustrator should contact the editor with a concept before finished work and submission]
- In addition, one public domain “Classic” piece: either short story, poem, article, or review will be published in each genre section of each issue.
- NOTE 1: It is possible that any one of the above categories might be void of content or lacking any accepted submission in a specific genre during the open Calls for Submissions [autumnal equinox for the vernal equinox issue and vice versa]. In such an event, that category will be omitted in the respective section of this “pentapartite” Journal.
- NOTE 2: In the potential event that all categories in each of the five parts of the journal are filled with accepted works in any given Submissions Period, THE OPEN SUBMISSIONS PERIOD WILL BE CUT SHORT on the date of the announcement of a filled Issue of the journal.
Short Fiction or Poetry or Art/Illustration–either commissioned by the publisher OR submitted and accepted for publication by well-established, award-winning, significantly published, or otherwise honored writers or artists may be paid at higher rates. But such authors and poets and illustrators should inquire before submitting work.
JOURN-E will be published online on both the Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes each year. On those same dates, CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS for the next issue will be made, with the deadlines of the Summer and Winter Solstices, respectively. A “sampling” version of each issue will be freely available to download in PDF format, BUT the full issue will only be available to subscribers.
In addition to each online publication, JOURN-E will be available as a print publication released FOR SALE on the same publication dates as the online version.
Each division of the pentapartite journal, representing the genres noted above, will include: at least one original short story, at least two poems, at least one scholarly article, at least one scholarly review, and at least one illustration–ideally relevant to one of the stories or poems included in the section. There will be both half-page and full-page interior illustrations. The cover art/illustration for each issue will be commissioned. One “classic” public domain story, poem, article, or review will end each of the five sections: ADVENTURE, DETECTION & MYSTERY, FANTASY, HORROR & THE SUPERNATURAL, and SCIENCE FICTION.
JOURN-E: The Journal of Imaginative Literature is a PAYING PUBLICATION. Rates of compensation are listed in the right margin area.
In the event that the Campaign for JOURN-E fails to meet its goal, the rates of compensation for accepted work [at least for the first issue] will be set at HALF of those listed above [Half-Cent/Word for prose, etc.]. This will remain the case until revenues from Subscriptions or Purchases of Print copies warrant an increase.
Via: Mind’s Eye Publications.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!