Payment: All authors will receive 5 cents per word payable on initial publication, plus 1 free copy of all print editions their work appears in. In addition, authors will get a complimentary lifetime subscription to the Horror d’oeuvres site.
Size limit: 99-999 words
Acquisitions Editor: Shane Staley
DarkFuse is now accepting original micro-fiction (flash fiction) for its website Horror d’oeuvres (http://www.horrordoeuvres.com) and it’s anthology series published under the same name. Before submitting, please make sure your work fits ALL of the following criteria:
(1) Manuscript must be between 99 and 999 words
(2) Story is dark fiction (dark element to the plot). Thriller, horror, suspense, crime, bizarre.
(3) Fiction is original, never before published in any form
(4) Manuscript is not submitted (or will be submitted) elsewhere during our review process
(5) No multiple submissions in each category (only one flash fiction story at a time)
If accepted, DarkFuse acquires lifetime rights for web (each story will be archived for the life of the site) and first worldwide anthology rights for both print and eBook. DarkFuse does not take any film rights or other media. Year’s Best Anthologies are excluded from these rights, meaning that if your work would be accepted in the major year’s best anthos (edited by Ellen Datlow, Stephen Jones, etc.), then it would be free to be reprinted in those specific publications.
The initial publication will be on our website Horror d’oeuvres (http://www.horrordoeuvres.com). This website is a subscriber-based / members-only site, so your work will not be accessible to the general public—only to paid subscribers). DarkFuse will also be publishing stories in an anthology series to be published in eBook and a best-of anthology published in eBook and paperback.
All authors will receive 5 cents per word payable on initial publication, plus 1 free copy of all print editions their work appears in. In addition, authors will get a complimentary lifetime subscription to the Horror d’oeuvres site.
You will receive our decision within 6 months of submission. Rejections will be sent via e-mail form letter (we do not have the staff to provide a critiquing service).
Acceptances will be delivered via a personal e-mail from the editor.
DarkFuse is best known for its quality fiction. This isn’t the easiest market to break into, so please bring your best work.
Always provide us with a clean, well-formatted manuscript with your name, address and other standard information on the cover page or header.
The fiction is always our top priority, but during our final cuts we also look for authors who know how to market their work. Having a clean, informative author website will have a positive effect on final decisions. Also, providing an interesting marketing synopsis will go a long way.
The following information MUST be included with your submission:
Your website URL
You can submit at Dark Fuse’s Submittable.
- Taking Submissions: Crypt-Gnats: Horror you’ve been itching to read - June 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Sky’s The Limit - June 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Gimme the Loot: Stories Inspired by The Notorious B.I.G. - June 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions – Millhaven Horror/Dark Fantasy Edition 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Crash Code - June 19, 2018
- Video Refresh: Rejection – The Ugly Word - June 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: WhimsyCon 2019 Anthology - June 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Corpus Press Untitled 2019 Non-Themed Horror Anthology - June 18, 2018
- 5 More Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - June 18, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 06/17/2018 - June 17, 2018