There are some huge congratulations in order as the Horror Writers Association has revealed their 2019 scholarship winners! If you are friends with any of these authors make sure to throw them a huge shout out on their social media or in person! I’d like to personally give a shout out to Theresa Derwin as I’ve been featured in one of her anthologies in the past and who you can always see active in the horror writing community.
Sara Adams was born and raised in Massachusetts and has been writing horror since the fourth grade, when she was given an assignment to finish a story about black cats and took it just a little too far. She grew up with a deep love of the genre, writing stories about everything from fluid minds to what lives in the shadows. Sara lives in Haverhill with her two roommates, crafting new nightmares every day. Her work has appeared in the anthology In Delirium Bloom.
MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT SHELLEY SCHOLARSHIP:
HWA member Theresa Derwin writes Dark Urban Fantasy & Horror and has over forty-five anthology acceptances, one of which is her story “Trapped” in Below the Stairs with Clive Barker. She’s had three collections published: Monsters Anonymous, Season’s Creepings and Wolf at The Door. She has edited nine anthologies, including Dark Voices: a Women in Horror and Dark Fiction Book, with proceeds to Breast Cancer charities, published by Lycan Valley Publications. She is currently working on a novella, God’s Vengeance, from Crystal Lake Publishing, and her witchcraft and demonic horror Mercy, which she will complete as part of her MA Creative Writing at BCU this September, to be studied part time due to her disabilities. She blogs at www.theresaderwin.co.uk
DARK POETRY SCHOLARSHIP:
Alexander P. Garza is a writer, actor, and educator from Houston, TX. His work can be seen in Veil: Journal of Darker Musings, Thirteen Myna Birds, Black Poppy Review, Ekphrastic Review, and others. He has worked on and offstage at The Alley Theatre, Houston Grand Opera, Main Street Theater, and Mildred’s Umbrella Theatre Company. Visit him on Instagram/Twitter, @alexanderpgarza, and on his website http://www.alexanderpgarza.com.
The judges for the Rocky Wood Memorial Scholarship Fund for Nonfiction Writing chose to not award the fund for 2019.
For more information on the scholarships, visit HorrorScholarships.com
- Taking Submissions: One Story - January 22, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Public Domain Fanzine - January 22, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Best Vegan SFF of the year (Reprints Only) - January 21, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Infinite Worlds Magazine - January 21, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Guardians of Time - January 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror USA: Alaska - January 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Twenty Twenty - January 17, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Deep Magic – Short Stories, Novelettes, And Novellas - January 16, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Nothing Ever Happens in Fox Hollow - January 15, 2020