Our church worships at the altar of the Unholy Trinity. Its gospels are delivered as a trio of dark drabbles, linked so that Three become One. All hail the power of the Three.
Fishing was one of Electra’s joys. The challenge of finding a good spot, the relaxing wait, the thrill of reeling in a catch.
Today, sunshine filtered through the sea like a sparkling aquamarine jewel. Perfect weather for sailing.
As if on cue, a shadow passed above. A dropping anchor sent shudders through the water and quivers of anticipation through Electra.
She swam upward, waiting for the line and bait to drop too. A hook for her to snag. As it did, she tugged down hard, a man splashing in after it.
The Siren and her children would eat well tonight.
The Sea of Siren Screams
Manolin hated fishing. His da had gone missing in these waters.
Yet here he was, rod in hand, floating in a dingy.
The line grew taught. Manolin held tight. The rod ripped down, dragging Manolin into the sea.
As he sunk down Manolin saw it – the beautiful yet terrible creature from sailor’s tales. The thing bared its teeth in a smile, snaring Manolin in her embrace.
Manolin smiled too. He pulled out the knife he’d tucked in his shorts and stabbed the Siren in the side.
Blood, seawater and Siren screams mixed together as Manolin reaped his sweet revenge.
A Song of Sorrow
Vivian sat watching the ocean where her mother had died. A sad song drifted from her lips, floating over the water like waves of sorrow.
Then, a sound from behind made her stop. A young man stood listening on the rocks.
“Are you okay?” he asked. “You sound so… alone.”
“Not alone,” Vivian said as the man approached.
She felt a stab of guilt as a blade split through his neck from behind.
Vivian’s Siren brother smiled as the corpse on his knife fell to the ground. She was the bait, he the hook. Their mother would have been proud.
Tim Hawken is a dark fiction writer based in the isolated badlands of Western Australia. His work has appeared in publications such as Midnight Echo, Stab, Soggy Bones and more. Best known for his Hellbound Trilogy, Tim also drops a new, art-inspired drabble on his Instagram page each week. You can get a free eBook copy of Hellbound by heading to his website: timhawken.com
- Ongoing Submissions: Unreal Magazine - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Other Stories Vol 45. Abandoned Places - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Gruesome Games - July 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Mythical Girls - July 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2019 - July 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Mortal Realm – New Worlds (Sci-Fi) - July 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trigger Warning - July 15, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 07/14/2019 - July 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tell-Tale Press Short Stories - July 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Sci Phi Journal - July 11, 2019