Our church worships at the altar of the Unholy Trinity. Its gospels are delivered as a trio of dark drabbles, linked so that Three become One. All hail the power of the Three.
MIZARU – BIRTH.
What happened to the mute girl was unspeakable.
A brother discovered her, sprawled upon the monastery steps.
Sanctuary and time allowed broken bones to heal; her slowly expanding belly speaking volumes regarding what had been endured.
When the time came, she mimed silent screams as she pushed the bastard out into this world.
One. Another. Then one more.
Leaving her to gaze upon the brood, the monks huddled, unsure of such portents.
Until the infants wailing ceased. Concerned, they returned.
To watch the babes suckle upon the bloody trickle that ran from the sockets where their mother had no eyes.
KIKAZARU – LIFE.
Of the three children, there was no doubting who was leader. First to draw breath, guiding his siblings, choosing what path they walked.
In his eyes, they were alike, both in skin and what lay beneath, and inside this unity lay their strength.
One heart, mind and soul.
So, when two happened upon the third, hands trembling, blue faced beauty lying at his feet, the eldest knew the sin had to be shared.
Crying tears of relief, the youngest took to the shadows, hands clasped to head, drowning out the sound.
As the boys each did one of their own.
IWAZARU – DEATH.
Those in the middle can see in both directions, he whispered, taking his seat.
Decades had passed since they had broken bread; each brother’s existence an escape from the shade of the others.
He had heard talk of their sins. The eldest, greedy and ruthless, fortune built upon the cruellest exploitations. The youngest, driven by lust, defined by violence.
Studies taught him of the shark; how their foetuses feast upon one another within the womb.
Savouring his first bite of meat, he gave thanks that he finally could have his family for dinner.
Then promised he’d never mention them again.
Steven Holding lives with his family in Northamptonshire in the United Kingdom. His work had been published in FRIDAY FLASH FICTION, THEATRE CLOUD, AD HOC FICTION and MASSACRE MAGAZINE. Most recently, his story THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH received first place in the INKTEARS 2018 flash fiction competition. He is currently in the process of completing a number of new short pieces of fiction and is also working upon a novel. You can visit his website at www.stevenholding.co.uk
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Ghost Stories Anthology - January 27, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror for Hire - January 27, 2020
- Taking Submissions: In Darkness, Delight: Fear the Future (Volume 3) - January 24, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Local Oddities Cemetery Gates Anthology - January 23, 2020
- Taking Submissions: A Monster Told Me Bedtime Stories - January 23, 2020
- Taking Submissions: One Story - January 22, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Public Domain Fanzine - January 22, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Best Vegan SFF of the year (Reprints Only) - January 21, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Infinite Worlds Magazine - January 21, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Guardians of Time - January 20, 2020