Taking Submissions: Sovereign: An Anthology of Black Fantasy Fiction
Deadline: July 16th, 2022
Payment: Original Fiction: $0.08/word up to 1,000 words, and $0.01/word after, Reprints: $0.01/word
Theme: Authors from Africa and the African Diaspora exploring any of the following: Heroic, Mythic, Flintlock, Gaslamp, Medieval, Religious, Weird West, Arcanepunk, High/Epic Fantasy, Sword and Soul/Planet, Noblebright/Nobledark, Fables/Fairytale Retellings
Note: Reprints Welcome
AURELIA LEO presents Sovereign: An Anthology of Black Fantasy Fiction seeking authors from Africa and the African Diaspora exploring certain aspects of the genre.
More specifically, we want fantasy in the following sub-genres/themes:
- Weird West
- High/Epic Fantasy
- Sword and Soul/Planet
- Fables/Fairytale Retellings
The cover illustration will feature “Knight Duties” by the wonderful Nigerian-based artist LA Draws/Ajayi Olajide.
(Flexible) Deadline: July 16, 2022
Publication Date: TBA 2023 (post-Kickstarter campaign)
- Original Fiction: $0.08/word up to 1,000 words, and $0.01/word after
- Reprints: $0.01/word
Payment will be rendered within 30 days of the finalization of the TOC. If a Kickstarter campaign is successfully funded, original fiction will be raised to $0.08/word for their full word count.
Demographic? Only Black authors
Length? Flash (1,000 words) up to novella length (39,999 words) (NOT FLEXIBLE)
Format? Shunn Modern Manuscript Format
- Translations are accepted
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted
- Only two submissions allowed in total (one original and one reprinted story)
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 12 months from the date of publication
- If selected to be republished in another anthology in the future, payment in royalties is $0.01USD per word
- If selected for a podcast or audiobook, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, or violent work
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Works above the word count
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- Settings outside of the United States of America, or the United States of America as we know it
- Protagonists that are Queer, Trans, Plus-Sized, Woman, and other types of diversity beyond just race
- Intersectionality in regards to gender, class, ability status, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, and so on
We take 2-3 weeks to respond to submissions. If you haven’t received a response by then, please query. If you have any questions, email info [at] aurelialeo.com.
Via: Pride Book Cafe.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!