Payment: £25 per story
There’s a special buzz that comes from discovering a really excellent short story. Sometimes they achieve more than a book, sometimes they offer a glimpse into a cast world. When they’re done well they are really special.
A big part of what we want to do at Unsung Stories is find new authors and give their unique visions a home. So this is why we are publishing short stories on our site. We’re aiming to publish a new story every two weeks, which will go out by email as well as here on the site.
WHAT KIND OF STORIES WE YOU WANT?
Good ones, first and foremost. We want science fiction, fantasy, horror sub-genres and anything in the fuzzy bits between. All of these things can be and are literary. Help us push the envelope. Our novel submission guidelines should give you a good idea.
In some respects short fiction liberates you from world building, the interaction of every scene with the complete story and the weight of all those words that make up a book. That doesn’t mean you can shirk on credibility of course. It means your believable characters, your engaging plot and that alchemical something work in different ways. It’s an art, after all.
Make us laugh, scare us, get our adrenaline pumping, make us fall in love all over again, remind us why you’re not meant to push that button, sing a song of cilia, a pocket full of lightspeed. Be original. Show the world the limits of genre fiction don’t exist. We won’t shy away from anything but always remember there’s a difference between shocking and gratuitous.
HOW LONG IS SHORT?
We will consider stories up to 3000 words (preferred length is under 2000 words though).
PAYMENT AND RIGHTS:
We pay £25 per story. For this we get first electronic rights exclusive for three months, with non-exclusive archival rights. We’ll pay within 30 days of publication via PayPal.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Fill out our submission form below. Standard manuscript format for the files please. We only accept short story submissions online.
Via: Unsung Stories.
- World Fantasy Award Nominations 2017 - July 26, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Biweekly Bite - July 26, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Menagerie de Mythique Anthology Call: Mythical Creatures Anthology - July 25, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Asterisk Anthology—Round 4: Nautical Nightmares - July 25, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Below the Stairs – Tales from the Cellar - July 24, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Tales From the Fluffy Bunny - July 24, 2017
- ‘The Calling’ Blog Tour – Brent Abell On “Writing What You Know” - July 24, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 07/23/2017 - July 23, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Silver Blade Magazine - July 21, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Literary Erotica Anthology: Haunted - July 20, 2017