Payment: $75 for fiction, $35 for flash or reprints
Are you Black? It doesn’t matter what part of the world you’re from, or where you are now–as long as you’re Black and you write horror, you are welcome to submit!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Short story submissions should be between 4,000 and 5,000 words.
- We may occasionally do flash fiction episodes, so feel free to submit shorter stories–it just may be a bit longer before your story airs.
- We’ll pay you when the story is narrated. This typically happens 2-4 weeks before the episode with your story goes live. You can offer to narrate your own story, but keep in mind we may choose another narrator if we feel sound quality or style doesn’t match our brand.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but we respond pretty quickly (currently 5-7 days). Just let us know if you found another home for your work ASAP.
- We pay for exclusive audio and electronic publishing rights for 6 months after the air date.
- We also reserve the right to continue to broadcast, promote, and/or link to your story on our website/podcast, but after six months, you can publish your story in any format elsewhere.
- We accept reprints that have not been published in audio format previously. Just let us know your story has appeared elsewhere and where so we can credit properly.
- We do have plans to eventually publish “Best Of” anthologies. Should we decide to include your piece, we’ll ask your permission first and you’ll be paid for inclusion.
If you have any questions, hit us up on Twitter @nightlightpod.
HOW WE PAY
- If we accept your short story, we’ll pay you $75. We send money via Venmo and the Cash App, but can also do PayPal if you don’t have Venmo or Cash (but we super don’t want to).
- Flash fiction is paid at $35 per story.
- Reprints are paid $35 per story.
HOW TO SUBMIT
To submit your story, email tonia [at] nightlightpod.com with the subject line NIGHTLIGHT: Submission [Story Title].
Please make sure you attach a PDF or Word doc of your story in standard manuscript format, although you can omit your mailing address.
You don’t need to say anything fancy in the email. Just tell me your name, which of your birth parents are Black (we not doing any Rachel Dolezal ish up in here), and anything else you think is interesting about you.
Want to Perform a Story For Us?
If you want to apply to be a narrator for NIGHTLIGHT, email tonia [at] nightlightpod.com with the subject line NIGHTLIGHT NARRATOR: [Your Name] with a link to a sample of your work. Please let us know if you are a member of another marginalized community (LGBTQIA, Muslim, Disabled, etc) so we can reach out to you for stories which feature characters in your community. Voice actors are paid $25 per episode.
Via: Nightlight Podcast.
- Trembling With Fear 10/14/2018 - October 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Dreamforge - October 12, 2018
- Video Refresh: Karen Runge Interview - October 12, 2018
- Closed Market: Iridium Magazine - October 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Gardens Anthology - October 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Compelling Science Fiction - October 10, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Splatter Club: Fresh Meat 2018 - October 10, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Story Seed Vault - October 10, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nothing Without Us - October 9, 2018
- Contest: St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition - October 9, 2018