Payment: $1.50 for stories and a flat $5 for serials.
Nanoism is a twitterzine, an online publication focused on nanofiction, which in this case refers to stories that clock in at a maximum of 140 characters (conforming to the inherent limitations of the Twitter service).
@Nanoism accepts all genres. However, we are most interested in literary fiction—stories that move us with their writing. We are looking for staying power: pieces that leave an impression disproportionate to their length. Make us think.
Please submit only one story per week: we want your very best! However, we are willing to accept previously published “tweets”—just provide us with a link. We’re interested more in quality than exclusivity. If it’s already available online (even your personal Twitter account), we consider it published.
Submit: Send entries of up to 140 characters by email to [email protected]. Include your name, third-person bio (up to 134 characters), and subject line: “Nanoism Submission”
We don’t need titles, as we won’t be including them during publication.
Rights: You own your story and can do with it whatever you wish after publication. We do retain the right to keep the story in our archive and to include it in future anthologies, electronic and/or print. By submitting you agree to give Nanoism these rights if published.
Response Times: We do our very best to respond within 0-7 days. If you don’t hear back within
a month three months, then it was probably lost en route—send it again (via email, editor [at] nanoism [dot] net) and let us know what happened.
Serials: Nanoism is currently accepting unsolicited submissions for serialized stories. Serials can be between 3-7 segments/episodes/tweets long and can (but do not need to) include a title. Each segment must stand alone as well as form part of the larger narrative. Due to this challenging constraint, we publish very few serials.
Payment: We believe in the importance of being paid—even a token amount—for your work. We pay $1.50 for stories and a flat $5 for serials. We also include a short bio with your story, and we’ll gladly link to your personal site and/or twitter account (just fit it in the bio). If you plan to submit more stories in the future, we can hold payments until the amount is larger. Additionally, you can donate your commission to Nanoism (we appreciate it!) to help us pay for future stories. If so, we’ll be sure to send you a complimentary copy of an e-book if it spontaneously creates itself. This is a labor of love; we have no resources.
Support: If you’d like to support Nanoism, you can do so somewhat effortlessly by clicking this link before shopping at Amazon.com. We will earn a small commission on the books and finery you purchase, and nothing happens to you (except for the good feeling inside from supporting a fine digital literary venue).
- Taking Submissions: Sherlock Holmes and the Occult Detectives - February 21, 2019
- WIHM: A World Without Horror - February 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Reach For The Sky - February 21, 2019
- WIHM: Plant Horror – Or That Impressive Hogweed Is NOT Harmless! - February 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Predators In Petticoats - February 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Oklahoma Pagan Quarterly Summer 2019 - February 20, 2019
- WIHM: Channeling Character Development Through Acting - February 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions SubTerrain #83 - February 19, 2019
- WIHM: Scores for Horrors: The Underappreciated Queen of Hammer and Amicus Horror - February 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Once and Future Moon - February 19, 2019