fiction, poetry, literary essays, travel narratives, translation, novelettes in verse / flash
As we head into our 10th anniversary (October 2018), our editorial focus is honing in on one particular aspect of our mission to explore the world one voice at a time. This shift in editorial focus aligns with our new vision:
To become a sustainable archive of short-form literature that explores the intersection between humans and the landscape — including any/all of its inhabitants — inspiring readers, writers, editors, and researchers to engage with and speak for their local ecosystems.
Additional details will be released throughout the spring and summer, but the gist of things can be gleaned from the central circle in the diagram found here:
- We ARE reading single works for publication on our blog. Please see the “New Guidelines Overview” section below for details.
- We are NOT reading unsolicited queries for book-length and chapbook-length manuscripts. Going forward all chapbook manuscripts will be selected on a solicited basis only, from our current authors and regular contributors to the blog who have demonstrated professionalism and community spirit. Any unsolicited chap/book queries/manuscripts will be discarded/deleted without response.
Please be sure you have read some of the works published on this blog prior to submitting your work so that you get a better feel for our editorial tastes. We will make every effort to respond to your submission within 30 days. We believe in a robust editorial process, so revisions may be requested prior to publication. Be sure to take all of these considerations into account before deciding to submit your work to us.
New Guidelines Overview:
- Editor: JS Graustein | Assistant Editors: Sarah Gibson, Casey Tingle, Zakariah Johnson
- Reading Period: year round
- Issue Close Date: 31 December of each year
- Publication Date: Wednesdays.
- Number of Pieces Needed: a total of 52 per year across all genres
- Maximum Number of Pieces per Submission: one (more details below)
- Simultaneous Submissions: no
- Previously Published Submissions: no (exceptions below)
- Royalty: $5 US. Cash royalty paid via PayPal. Authors residing in countries for which individual PayPal accounts are unavailable may select a chapbook from Folded Word’s in-stock titles instead.
- Other Perqs: Folded Word’s editors may solicit chapbook manuscripts from writers with multiple works published on this blog.
We will respond to submissions as quickly as possible, but initially it may take some time to decide on the best works to launch this new concept.
Submission of Work:
To be considered, a work must:
- Have a title, which must be 70 characters or less*
- Fit within our format limits:
- Poems = 25 lines or less
- Flash fiction, literary essay, travel narrative = 500 words or less
- Cross genre = reasonable length in reference to limits in A + B above. (For example: 8 lines + 300 words, 4 lines + 400 words, 15 lines + 150 words.)
- Be previously unpublished. EXCEPTIONS: a work only published on your own blog OR only published in print.
- Follow all submission guidelines. Submissions that do not follow the guidelines will be deleted without notification.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: Please only send us one work at a time — and wait until you hear from us on your first submission before sending us another. We’ll only be posting one selection per week (generally on Wednesdays), so please send your best effort.
*If your work is untitled, please give it a unique numerical identifier such as the date it was written or submitted. Example: 2017.07.11 for a poem submitted on 11 July 2017. If your work is haiku/senryu or other traditionally untitled form, simply use the first line followed by an ellipsis (…).
To Submit, Go Here: Folded Word.
- Taking Submissions: The temz Review - April 25, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Corvid Queen - April 25, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fiddler’s Green Peculiar Parish Magazine – All Fiction Issue - April 24, 2019
- Taking Submissions: When The Sirens Have Faded - April 24, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Timeworn Literary Journal - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Shut Down Strangers & Hot Rod Angels - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Retro Horror - April 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fairytale Dragons - April 22, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019