Payment: 1¢ / word
We are looking for highly imaginative stories with a healthy dose of the odd. Odd characters, odd experiences, odd realities. We’re looking for genre / speculative stories and are quite partial to slipstream, cross-genre, magic realism, absurdist, and the surreal.
We want character. For us, stories live and die by their characters. We’re looking for fully drawn characters who surprise us with their honesty, complexity, and contradictions.
We want mysterious. We’re looking for stories that grab the reader, make them ask, “what the hell is going on?” and then deliver on the tease.
We want ideas and we want action. We love exploring big, philosophical ideas, but we revel in suspenseful plotting. If you’re adept at blending these elements, we can’t wait to read your work.
We want fresh voices and exciting prose. We want to be surprised. We want to be inspired. We want to find stories that we can’t wait to publish, promote, and evangelize.
Check out J.J. Abrams’ TEDTalk, Mystery Box. If you find that the sensibilities he describes in this video shape your own work, we want to see your stories. But watch the video. We’re not looking for J.J. Abrams imitators. Don’t “rip off the wrong stuff.”
Some books that we think rock:
- The Last Policeman by Ben Winters
- The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway
- Number9Dream by David Mitchell
- John Dies at the End by David Wong
- The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
- Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne
- The Windup Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
- Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
- Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen
- The Gunslinger by Stephen King
- Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris
- Outside the Dog Museum by Jonathan Carroll
- Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem
- Illium by Dan Simmons
Payment: 1¢ / word
Length: 2000 – 7500 words
Email formatted submissions as an attached .doc, docx, or .rtf file to submissions [at] bourbonpenn [dot] com. Use the body of the email for your cover letter.
Response time is between one and three months. We are not considering reprints or excerpts at this time.
We do not accept simultaneous or multiple submissions.
Via: Bourbon Penn.
- Taking Submissions: Retro Horror - April 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fairytale Dragons - April 22, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019
- Video Refresh: First Draft Blues - April 19, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: The Old Man - April 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume Three - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Little Girl Lost: Thirteen Tales of Youth Disrupted - April 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Cats. And Bikes. In Space. - April 17, 2019