Ongoing Submissions: After Dinner Conversation
Payment: 1 cent per word
Do you accept unsolicited submissions?
Yes. Please see the information below on how to submit.
How do I submit?
- Email your submission to [email protected] with “After Dinner Conversation – Submission” in the Subject Line.
- Attach your story as .pdf document. If we can’t open it, it will be deleted.
- Assuming your story is accepted, we will send you a simple contract granting us the right to publish your story on our website. Additionally, your story will be considered for inclusion in future podcast discussions and/or as part of the Kindle Direct Publication “After Dinner Conversation” Series.
- No more than three submissions per six months.
What are your looking for?
Your writing can be any genre, and from any perspective. The important thing is that it spurs discussions and requires the reader to expand their mind. If you need an example, read “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas” by the amazing Ursula K. Le Guin or the convenience store scene from Chuck Palahniuk’s “Fight Club.” The point is, the short story should be interesting as a short story, but also have a deeper point for a longer discussion. If you are hurting for deep ideas to write about, you might want to watch these Crash Course videos on Philosophy. Of course, the best thing to do is read other short stories on the website.
We do not accept novels, poems, or artwork.
What length are you looking for?
- Children’s Stories: Under 1,500 words
- Young Adult: Under 5,000 words
- Adult: 1,500-15,000 words
What does this pay?
Accepted short stories from unsolicited submissions are $0.01 per word (limit $50).
How long will it take to hear back from you?
Usually just 1-2 weeks, but certainly under 1 month.