The Horror Writers Association (HWA), the premier organization of writers and publishers of horror and dark fantasy, today announced Tim Waggoner as this year’s recipient of the organization’s Mentor of the Year Award.
The HWA’s Mentorship Program Chairperson and the Program’s Committee select the award’s recipient. The award will be presented at HWA’s inaugural StokerCon in Las Vegas, during the Bram Stoker Awards® ceremony on Saturday, May 14, 2016. Tickets to the banquet and the convention are on sale at www.stokercon2016.com. The awards presentation will also be live-streamed.
“Tim Waggoner is the perfect mentor. Certainly Tim is a fantastic writer. But, anyone who truly knows the man, knows he is constantly helping up-and-coming writers every day. His greatest asset is his ability to give honest critiques in a tactful way—the budding writer walks away encouraged and not bummed. The HWA is fortunate to have Tim as a mentor!” said HWA mentorship chairperson Michael Knost.
About Tim Waggoner
Tim Waggoner published his first novel in 2001. Since then, he’s published over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. He writes original fantasy and horror, as well as media tie-ins. His novels include Like Death, considered a modern classic in the genre, and the popular Nekropolisseries of urban fantasy novels. He’s written tie-in fiction for Supernatural, Grimm, The X-Files,Doctor Who, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Transformers, among others. His articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest, Writer’s Journal, Ohio Writer, Writer’s Workshop of Horror, Writers on Writing Vol. 1, Horror 101, and Teaching English in the Two-Year College. He’s been a finalist for the Shirley Jackson Award and the Scribe Award, and his fiction has received numerous Honorable Mentions in volumes of Best Horror of the Year. In addition to being an adjunct faculty member in Seton Hill University’s MFA in Writing Popular Fiction program, he’s a full-time tenured professor teaching creative writing and composition at Sinclair College in Ohio.
- Ongoing Submissions: Folded Word - September 25, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Urban Crime - September 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: American Gothic - September 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: 2100 A Health Odyssey Contest - September 24, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Zooscape - September 24, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Nanoism - September 24, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 09/23/2018 - September 23, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… An Interview with Dean M. Drinkel - September 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Black Labyrinth Anthology I : Possession - September 21, 2018
- Video Refresh: Finding Your Identity - September 21, 2018