- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: A World Unimagined
January 21, 2018
Deadline: January 21st, 2018
Left Hand Publishers is announcing an open call for submissions for its latest anthology. Given enough submissions of exceptional quality (and that has been the case in the recent calls), we may create several anthologies, depending on the submissions received.
“Imagination starts in your mind but ends in infinity.”
The above quote will appear on the first page of the book. Let the title and quote take your imagination, and your story, wherever it wants to go.
In our Call for Submission for our anthologies, on this form, we accept only short stories. Novels, novellas, and short story collections (as an entire book) should be submitted to http://lefthandpublishers.com/open-call-for-submissions/. We will review your submission and contact you on the viability of Left Hand Publishers accepting it to be published. Please use this form to submit your manuscript. However, if you do not receive a receipt of your submission within 72 hours, please email us at [email protected] to confirm that we have received your document.
Submitting your story automatically registers you in our Register To Win contest where you could win a FREE author website (some restrictions apply).
GENRES: Open to Speculative Fiction (works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements); Suspense/Thriller; Supernatural/Horror; or Science Fiction (or some combination of any of those genres) is acceptable. Please note below which genre you think your story fits. It may be more than one. LHP reserves the right to place any submission into what they deem the appropriate venue.
WORD COUNT: 4,000 to 9,000 words.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES:
- Title of submission shall not contain variations of the phrase “A World Unimagined.”
- Standard manuscript format. (Go to www.lefthandpublishers.com for complete guidelines and to download the format template.)
- Submissions must be made as .doc or .docx attachment only and NOT copied into the body of the email. Only electronic submissions accepted.
- In accordance with Left Hand Publishers’ standards, stories containing pedophilia, bestiality, overtly descriptive rape, or graphic gore will not be considered.
- Factors in anthology acceptance:
- How well it fits the theme of a given book;
- Quality of the story based on characterization, conflict, TWIST at the end, and how engaging it is;
- Word count, length, and formatting (while minor considerations, it indicates a certain professionalism about the craft);
- Technical writing quality: sentence and story structure, pacing, split infinitives, an overabundance of adjectives, adverbs, similes, filter words, etc.
- Quality of the manuscript’s editing/proofreading (again, both indications of professionalism about the craft)
- Failure to submit story according to guidelines will be cause for immediate rejection.
- Multiple story submissions are accepted if individually submitted in compliance with guidelines.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you do not submit a story to us and to another market at the same time.
- Only previously unpublished stories may be submitted. Upon acceptance into the anthology, author will receive a standard short story/anthology contract from Left Hand Publishers.
- Exclusivity – the rights to the short story are reverted back to the author six months after the initial publishing. Left Hand Publishers reserves the right to continue to reprint the anthology, but the author may also shop the story to other markets with the understanding that it may still be in print with LHP.
- Stories shorter than the 4,000-word minimum may be submitted with a second work. The two works together will be considered one submission (to meet the minimum word criteria), and if accepted, the author will be awarded one royalty check when it is printed and one electronic copy of the book. No story shorter than 4,000 words will be accepted (and more importantly, compensated for) without a second piece that brings the word count up to at least 4,000 words. This is to be fair to the writers who are submitting at least 4,000 words.
- Multiple authors – one story may have multiple authors, but only one royalty check per story will be distributed and one electronic copy of the book. It is up to the multiple co-authors to figure out how to divvy that up.
- Compensation – will be to a PayPal account only.
- SUBMISSION EMAIL SUBJECT LINE SHOULD READ: A World Unimagined – Story Title – Author first initial, last name. All submissions are to be sent to [email protected] or submitted via our form (below). Only submit the form once. It may look as if it is still processing (spinning), but we have very likely received it. If you truly think we did not get it, email us to ask, or resubmit via email.
- SUBMISSIONS OPEN: Friday, December 15, 2017
- SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: Sunday, January 21, 2018 (5:00 PM EST)
- SELECTION PERIOD: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 Acceptance or rejection notifications will be sent out then.
- CONTRIBUTOR COMPENSATION: $25 per story (or combination of stories) selected for inclusion and one electronic copy of the anthology. Payable upon book going on sale (estimated date: late April, 2018).
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FORM
This form will LOOK like it it is processing (just spinning), but it IS sending us your submission and form. Do not submit this form more than once. If you really think it did not go through or you wish to confirm, email us at: [email protected] It takes about fifteen minutes for it to reach us. If you do not hear back from us in 24 hours, please email us.
Via: Left Hand Publishers.
- The Unholy Trinity: Barrel - January 18, 2019
- SFWA Is Raising Pro Rate For Short Fiction To Eight Cents Per Word - January 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Suburban Review #13: LUCK - January 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Even Furries Hate Nazis - January 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tales from the Space Force - January 17, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019