Payment: 10 cents per word up to $200
Submissions for our New Voices category are open year round. New Voices is open to any new and emerging author who has not published a work of fiction or narrative nonfiction of novel length. You must not have a novel forthcoming at the time of submission. Published short-story collections do not count as a novel-length work and those authors are free to submit. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of stories from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we now offer payment to New Voices authors. $0.10/word up to $200. We are thrilled to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
- New Voices submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no novel-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- We accept fiction and narrative non-fiction. We do accept a variety of genres and styles, our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. We want to be wowed. Bend genres, experiment with structure, and write your heart out. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be less than 7,000 words.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
Via: The Master’s Review Submittable.
Payment: ten cents per word
Note: ONLY Translated Works Or English As A Second Language Authors Need Apply
We’re currently open to fiction submissions ONLY in the following categories:
- Translated fiction. Author or authorized translator may submit fiction of 500-10,000 words that has been previously published in source language but not in English.
- Fiction written by authors for whom English is not their first language and who reside outside of primarily English-speaking countries. If you’re not entirely certain whether you qualify for this call, feel free to query.
Please include the author’s primary language/country of residence and/or original publication info for translations in the cover letter. Submissions that do not include this information will not be read.
We’re currently CLOSED to other unsolicited fiction submissions, but will eventually open to those as well. Please do not query regarding this; we will post an update here when a general reading window opens.
Deadline: December 15th, 2018
Payment: Original: $0.06 USD/word for prose; $0.03 USD/word for interactivity ($0.09 USD/word for both) Reprints: $0.03 USD/word for prose; $0.015 USD/word for interactivity (0.045 USD/word)
As we announced last month, from November 15 to December 15, we’ll be hosting a game jam open to very short pieces of interactive fiction or sequential art on the theme of love. We’ll also be accepting submissions for interactive fiction proposals through our Submittable portal for authors new to the idea of interactive fiction.
The catch? All those submissions must be limited to 1000 words of prose, or 9 panels, put before the player. (Full rules and conditions can be found at either of the links above.)
Altogether, we’ll choose four pieces from four different author/artist/developers to run in our February 2019 issue at our standard rates.
Since today is November 15th, that game jam and the submission window for proposals are officially open! Both will close for entries at the end of the day (Pacific Time) on December 15th, and we hope to be able to make our final selections by early January.
Links for both the game jam and the proposal submission window are above, or you can click through below!
Game Jam: https://itch.io/jam/subqjam
Proposal Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/subQjam18
Our February issue will also feature a 1000-word-or-less game on the theme of “love” from two invited authors, to complement the entries we accept from the game jam and the proposal submission window. Those authors will be announced soon!
Excited yet? We know we are! We can’t wait to dive in to all the submitted games and proposals.
Got questions? Let us know on Twitter, Facebook, itch.io, or by e-mailing [email protected]
Payment: 6 cents/word up to 1000 words and a flat rate of $60 for longer stories. $20 for reprints.
Note: Reprints Welcome
We pay 6 cents/word up to 1000 words and a flat rate of $60 for longer stories. $20 for reprints.
What we’re interested in:
Stories up to 10,000 words; query for longer. All stories must be furry. That means an anthropomorphic animal figure should be significantly featured in your story — it could be anthropomorphic in body or only intelligence. We’ll consider any type of furry fiction from secret life of animals to fox in Starbucks. We love science-fiction with animal-like aliens and fantasy with talking dragons, unicorns, or witch familiars.
We are interested in underrepresented voices. If you have personal experience relevant to your story, feel free to mention it in your cover letter. For instance, if your story is about a space unicorn and you are a space unicorn (or a research biologist who studies space unicorns), let us know. We welcome and will be looking for diverse voices. We are not interested in stories that give voice to racist or sexist ideologies.
Please do not simultaneously submit a story to us and another market. For multiple submissions, please query. For reprints, please tell us where and when the story was published before.
How to submit:
Please send us an email at [email protected] (except with fewer koalas) with the subject line, “SUBMISSION: Title, Word Count.” Attach your story in Standard Manuscript Format as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file. Please keep your cover letter brief. Something like the following is fine:
Dear Story Wrangler,
I would like to offer my attached story, “Awesome Furry Story,” for your consideration. I hope you like it!
I’ve previously had stories published in Awesome Market, Another Market, Yet Another Market.
If you haven’t had any stories published before, don’t worry! We love discovering new voices.
Payment: US $0.06 per word
Constellary Tales is a pro market for science fiction and fantasy. Submissions are currently OPEN.
- Read our welcome editorial for an idea about the kind of stories we want
- We will consider stories from 1,000 to 3,500 words in length
- Our target turnaround time is one month
- We pay US $0.06 per word upon publication for first publication rights (print and audio) and nonexclusive reprint rights
- Submit stories in William Shunn manuscript format
And a short list of no’s
- No simultaneous or multiple submissions
- No stories published elsewhere (including anywhere online)
- No stories without a necessary speculative element
- No horror stories
- No stories set in someone else’s intellectual property (i.e., no fan fiction)
- No email submissions
Via: Constellary Tales. (This is also where you can find the submission form!)