Ongoing Submissions: Plotopolis
Payment: 8 cents per word
Theme: Interactive fiction that can be read/played in half an hour
Note: This is VERY different from our standard market but seemed quite interesting and I suspect that we’ll have 1-2 people who are interested!
Plotopolis publishes interactive fiction. Please read one of our pieces before submitting.
We consider all genres, but submissions should demonstrate strong writing craft. Additionally, pieces should work well within our publishing venues (currently Slack, Telegram, and a chat-interface on the web) and be created for Plotopolis.
The best way to learn how to write for Plotopolis is to play the ‘About Plotopolis’ game.
Here are a few key points:
- To start, we’re targeting pieces that can be read/played in roughly half hour.
- We accept submissions in
.tweeformat only. You’re in luck, as Twine is a great way to write an interactive story and exports to .twee format. Or if you’re more technical, Tweego. Please note that because of our technical limitations, we accept a relatively basic and un-styled Twine games.
- Plotopolis games have a few specific limitations and features. The best way to understand the submission guidelines is to play the About Plotopolis story before writing.
- If you’re coming from traditional literature (welcome!), then Emily Short has a fantastic post on ‘narrative design’. Even skimming the list of resources there is worthwhile.
- We do not accept/consider AI-generated submissions or art.
- We take first world serial rights, and we pay pro rates. We will consider some ‘reprint’ or adapted works. Please query us first.
We currently pay pro rates ($.08 per word). (Though if your piece has a lot of repeated text, let’s talk.)
We are at the beginning of this venture.
There are multiple considerations when purchasing something that might be more ‘game’ than ‘story’ and vice versa. In an ideal world, we’d purchase pieces in the same way you might purchase a novel: An advance against royalties, and then royalty payments when the advance earns-out.
Until we have a means of charging for these (by reader subscriptions or one-off purchases, et cetera), we will be paying as if it were a short story at a literary journal, and distributing them as widely as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
- It’s a new platform and we’re new to this! Please consider contacting us with questions or thoughts before submitting.
Played the ‘About Plotopolis’ game?: Download the Plotopolis Tutorial as a Twee file
Ready to submit?
Please send your .twee file submission to s[email protected], with a brief cover letter. Thank you!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!