Apex Publications Kicks Off A 2021 Anthology Kickstarter
Apex Book Company (Apex Publications) returned this year and they’re looking to expand. They are currently seeking funds “to publish a print compilation anthology of all the original genre short fiction published in our digital publication, Apex Magazine, during the 2021 calendar year.” To bring their vision to life, Apex Magazine is seeking to fill a goal of $6200.
There is a TON of quality in this collection and has had a highly successful return with:
- Seven of the zine’s stories made the Locus Magazine Suggested Reading List.
- The zine placed a story on the Nebula finalist list and won a Stabby Award.
- In October 2021, we published an issue dedicated to Indigenous authors.
- In December 2021, we dedicated an issue to international authors.
The anthology is set to include:
- 48 stories from a diverse array of new and established writers.
- The Apex Magazine Readers’ Choice Award-winning artwork “Entropic Garden” by Marcela Bolívar on the cover.
- A majority of the authors will include annotations about their contributing stories.
- Those stories without an author annotation will include a write-up by one of the Apex Magazine co-editors, Jason Sizemore or Lesley Conner, about what they see in the story and why it was selected.
The Stats of the Anthology’s formatting and other details:
- 350+ pages
- Trade paperback
- Offset printed by Color House Graphics
- The print run will equal enough copies for contributors, artists, and editors plus an additional 100 copies for marketing and promotional use.
- 6″ x 9″
- 49 Authors, 48 short stories plus one-online only interactive story
- ISSUE 121 — Fargo Tbakhi • Elana Gomel • PH Lee • Cassandra Khaw • Alix E. Harrow • Merc Fenn Wolfmoor • Charles Payseur
- ISSUE 122 — Sabrina Vourvoulias • AC Wise • Sheree Renée Thomas • Barton Aickman • Sam J. Miller • Annie Neugebauer
- ISSUE 123 — AK Hudson • Mari Ness • Aurelius Raines II • Sydney Rossman-Reich • Jennifer R. Donohue • Katherine Crighton
- ISSUE 124 — Beth Dawkins • E. Catherine Tobler • R Gatwood • Kingsley Okpii • Nicole Leboeuf-Little • Kelly Sandoval
- ISSUE 125 — Joelle Wellington • Rose Keating • Jared Millet • Maggie Slater • D. Thomas Minton • Rachel Swirsky
- ISSUE 126 (Indigenous authors) — Pamela Rentz • Theodore C. Van Alst, Jr. • Jessie Loyer • Kevin Wabaunsee • Tiffany Morris • Norris Black
- ISSUE 127 — Marie Croke • Izzy Wasserstein • Carson Winter • EK Wagner • Stephanie Kraner • Zahra Mukhi
- ISSUE 128 (International authors) — Renan Bernardo • Nina Munteanu • Cheryl S. Ntumy • Gabriela Damián Miravete • Tlotlo Tsamaase • Lavanya Lakshminarayan
Where are the funds going?
Our project baseline is set to $6200. How does that break out in terms of our budget?
- Cover art license – $300
- Print Costs (1000 tpb) – $3400
- Shipping costs – $800
- Contributor copies – $250
- Materials – $500
- Kickstarter fees – $900
- Video product – $65
If this is an anthology that you think you’ll want on your bookshelf, the way to contribute is to head over to Apex’s Kickstarter! You have until April 22th at 9:59am to finalize an order and $10 will snag you a digital copy, $25 will get you a trade paperback, and other bundles are available is well from subscriptions to editing packages and beyond!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!