Deadline: May 1st, 2019
Tiny Nightmares will be a collection of short and terrifying tales of monsters, madness, and nightmares. The anthology follows up on Tiny Crimes, an anthology of short crime fiction featuring stories by Carmen Maria Machado, Yuri Herrera, Brian Evenson, Amelia Gray, and more.
For Tiny Nightmares, we’re seeking short stories that play with and expand the boundaries of horror fiction — think of the stretch of unlit highway between Jordan Peele’s Get Out, Samanta Schweblin’s Fever Dream, and Stephen King’s IT. Stories that turn our understanding of “scary” on its (trembling) head. We’re looking for:
- Stories of new monsters, and old ones that scare us in new ways
- Tiny, intimate horrors to make our hair stand on end
- Horror as cultural/political/environmental funhouse mirror
- Subversions of traditional horror tropes
- Something so scary we haven’t thought of it yet
Stories should be under 1200 words.
Stories should be previously unpublished.
Payment will be $100 dollars.
Deadline: May 1st
Via: Catapult’s Submittable.
- Taking Submissions: Timeworn Literary Journal - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Shut Down Strangers & Hot Rod Angels - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Retro Horror - April 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fairytale Dragons - April 22, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019
- Video Refresh: First Draft Blues - April 19, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: The Old Man - April 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume Three - April 18, 2019