Taking Submissions: The Damned and The Divine (Early)
Submission Window: November 1st, 2022 – January 1st, 2023
Payment: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy
Theme: Gothic Tales of Broken Gods
Quill & Crow Publishing House is opening submissions for our second anthology of 2023, The Damned & The Divine: Gothic Tales of Broken Gods.
For this collection, we are looking for short stories (5,000 – 8,000 words) that blend mythology with Gothic/literary vibes. Whether you decide to give us a mythology retelling, or take common myths and give them a new twist, we want fresh perspectives, deconstructed tropes, and unique voices. This isn’t a collection for hero stories – rather, evocative, character driven tales. Give us some broken, wayward gods.
Things we are looking for:
themes of death/darkness
modern settings considered ONLY if they maintain a Gothic feel
Things we are not looking for:
extreme horror/extreme erotica
overtly modern adaptations
Please note: Submissions that do not follow requirements will not be considered.
1. We are accepting original works only. You must own the copyright to your submission.
2. Submissions period is from Nov 1st – Jan 1st, 2023. Please submit all stories to [email protected] with the subject line: The Damned & The Divine / Your Title / Genre. Emails sent to other emails will not be considered.
2. All submissions must be in English and follow standard MLA formatting (double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Work must be polished and edited (to the best of your ability). Please submit as a .docx file and include your name, title, and word count on the front page.
3. Story length is 5,000 to 8,000 words. Submissions below 5,000 words and above 8,000 words will not be considered.
4. Accepted authors will receive compensation per contract agreement (US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy).
5. We will only receive one submission per author, and please no reprints. Please do not contact any Quill & Crow employees on their social media accounts with submissions questions.
6. Please include a trigger warning in your query if your story has child abuse/death or SA implied. We will not accept stories that have sexual assault in them. Please do not submit these stories to us.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!