Payment: 1 cent per word
Note: Reprints welcome
We are looking for short fiction between 2,000 and 7,000 words in length. All stories must meet at least one of the following three criteria:
- by an author who identifies as an anarchist or with another political tradition that opposes state authority, capitalism, and other oppressive hierarchies
- takes place in a society without state authority, capitalism, or other oppressive hierarchies
- involves struggle against state authority, capitalism, or other oppressive hierarchies
One of our goals is to publish fiction that offers imaginative answers to our world’s problems. One of our other goals is to publish fiction that is entertaining and well-written. We have no strong feelings about genre. We are open to fantasy, science fiction, horror, or stories with no speculative elements whatsoever. We are open to submissions from authors of all class backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, and genders, though we are particularly excited about work that explores the experiences of people whose identities are marginalized by this society. While we are aiming this podcast at a primarily anarchist audience, we are actively excited about publishing work from other political traditions that share an antiauthoritarian, pro-community worldview.
We pay $.01USD per word upon acceptance. This is not a professional rate, and we are therefore primarily a reprint market. While we will consider fiction that has not appeared elsewhere, we suggest that if your story is good enough for us, it is probably good enough for someone who will pay you at least 8 cents per word and we encourage you to try submitting to those markets first. Authors should be paid for their labor. Once your work is out of exclusivity, or if you can’t find a better-paying home for it, send it on to us!
How to Submit
Send your story in standard manuscript format, as either an .rtf or .docx attachment, to the editor at [email protected] In the body of the email, please include a cover letter that indicates which of the three criteria your story meets as well as any prior publications of the story and/or where other work of yours has appeared.
Send only one story at a time. If you do not hear a response from us within six weeks, please consider your story rejected with our apologies.
What We Ask for
We ask for nonexclusive audio rights for the podcast, nonexclusive digital print rights to include the text on our website, and nonexclusive print rights to include your story in a potential forthcoming publication aimed at an incarcerated audience. If we accept your story, we would also like to interview you about the story, which we will air alongside your story.
What is This Anarchist Thing?
An anarchist is someone who opposes the state, capitalism, racism, colonialism, patriarchy, and all the various and intersecting ways by which groups of people exert power over other people. Anarchism also references a specific political tradition that dates to the mid-19th century and has had millions of adherents around the world. Or, to quote one of our favorite anarchist fiction writers, Ursula le Guin, “What is an anarchist? One who, choosing, accepts the responsibility of choice.”
Via: We Will Remember Freedom.
- Taking Submissions: Air: Sylphs, Spirits and Swan Maidens – Elemental Anthologies #3 - November 14, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: After Dinner Conversation - November 14, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: tdotSpec Magazine - November 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Nefarious Nature - November 13, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Cossmass Infinities - November 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Murder Park After Dark Volume 3 - November 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Midnight & Indigo – Speculative Fiction / Horror Issue - November 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Scary Snippets: Christmas Edition - November 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Unfading Daydream - November 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Midnight In The Pentagram - November 8, 2019