Payment: 3 cents/word for original fiction on publication; 1 cent/word for reprints
All submissions should follow proper manuscript format. Submissions should be emailed to [email protected] Please attach all submissions in .doc or rtf format—we will not accept submissions embedded in the body of email. Include your bio in your cover letter.
Guidelines for Fiction
The Dark is an online magazine published monthly. We are seeking fiction 2,000 – 6,000 words.
What we publish:
• Dark Fantasy
Don’t be afraid to experiment or to deviate from the ordinary; be different—try us with fiction that may fall out of “regular” categories. However, it is also important to understand that despite the name, The Dark is not a market for graphic, violent horror.
We will not consider multiple submissions. Submit once and wait for a response before sending anything else. We will not consider simultaneous submissions.
Please submit your story with the word REPRINT in the header of your submission emails, like so: SUBMISSION: [STORY TITLE] (REPRINT). Only stories from established print markets, including short story collections and anthologies, from the past two years, which would cover January 2014 onwards, will be considered.
We pay 3 cents/word for original fiction up to 6,000 words on acceptance for first world rights; and 1 cent/word for reprint fiction up to 6,000 words on acceptance for nonexclusive reprint rights.
Response times will vary depending on volume, but may average two days. Query after one month (include title and date submitted). Please do not respond to rejection letters, for any reason, otherwise.
Submit an inquiry along with samples (preferably a link to an online gallery). We purchase pre-existing pieces of art and rarely commission original art for covers.
You can find out more at The Dark Magazine’s Website
- ‘Still Dark’ Blog Tour – The Most Important Class I Ever Took - January 23, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Temporal Fractures: [Mis]Adventures in Time - January 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Schlock! Horror! - January 22, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 01/21/2018 - January 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Lost Souls and Robots & Artificial Intelligence - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Internet is Where the Robots Live Now Anthology - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nefariam: The Element of Crime - January 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: She’s Lost Control - January 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: City In The Ice - January 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nightscript Volume 4 - January 16, 2018