Payment: a pro-rata share of 40% of the subscription money with a further pro-rata 20% share for the next 5 months while the item remains on the site. An additional payment (TBD) will be paid upon inclusion in the paper issue
If you’d like to submit here are the guidelines.
Email: [email protected]
Contact: Jason Rennie
Please feel free to follow up every 2 weeks. I try to turn stories around as fast as I can, but it can take a while.
Stories and articles are published online and run for 6 months. At the end of 6 months the stories are taken off line and a best of is published as a paper issue of the magazine.
Payment is a share of royalties. Readers pay a subscription fee via Patreon and the Patreon money is split between the magazine and authors. In the first month a story is run authors get a pro-rata share of 40% of the subscription money with a further pro-rata 20% share for the next 5 months while the item remains on the site. An additional payment (TBD) will be paid upon inclusion in the paper issue. The remaining 40% of the subscription money is divided up, 20% to running costs for the magazine and the remaining 20% divided among the first readers, editors, artists, etc.
The current payrate for for a first month will be between 1c and 2c at a word at this time.
FICTION: We are looking for science fiction stories that explore a philosophical idea or have a philosophical hook. The “Phi” part is more important than the “Sci” part, fantasy, time travel, steam punk, slipstream, etc. If you are not sure, just ask.
Stories must include a “food for thought” set of questions or paragraph for readers along with the manuscript. Please include with your submission the philosophical themes explored in the story. Failure to do so will result in a rejected submission. This is not require for solicited stories.
If you are unsure about the food for thought section, just explain the big idea in your story. A paragraph will do the job. I usually write the food for thoughts (though I pay if I use the one submitted) myself, so don’t stress over making it perfect. The magazine is Science Fiction and Philosophy so I just want to insure the Philosophy part of the equation is covered.
NONFICTION: We are looking for general level philosophical discussions that use science fiction elements as launching points for explorations of ideas. Any philosophical area considered but it must be pitched at a general reader.
REQUEST: Please mention on whatever social media you have that you are submitting a story to Sci Phi and include a link to the website, or Amazon or some such. The magazine can only continue to exist and buy stories if issues sell. Please include a link to your promotion, either on twitter, a link to the blog post, facebook link, whatever. This is not required but space in the magazine is limited. It wont get an inappropriate story published and it wont stop a perfect story being published, but there is always more submissions than space, so if I have to choose between two roughly equal stories I will give the edge to the person willing to help promote the magazine even before they get a sale.
- Submit in DOC, DOCX, RTF or ODF format in that order of preference
- Include the word count, your name and your address at the top of the story
- Include a short bio suitable for publication
- Food for thought section either at the beginning or the end of the story
- Optional: Post a tweet, Facebook, Google+, Tumblr, etc, note about the magazine and include a link so I can add/friend/whatever you
Via: Sci Fi Journal.
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Creatures - January 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 01/13/2019 - January 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Winters - January 11, 2019
- Video Refresh: Taking The Next Step - January 11, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: Unnatural Creatures – Aberrant Behavior - January 11, 2019