Payment: $1,000 against a 25% royalty
Note: This one takes paranormal and I know a few of the writers that read our listings write in a style that fits here so I’m posting it for you
Welcome, authors! The HeroesandHeartbreakers.com Short Story Program is seeking short original romance fiction for publication on both the H&H site and in e-book. Keep reading to learn how you can submit your work for consideration.
What are the submission guidelines?
We are looking for original short stories (15k-30k words) as well as novellas (30k-50k words) and category-length works (up to 60k). Novellas and category-length romances would most likely be considered for publication as serial stories. We welcome submissions of original romance stories in all subgenres, including:
- Paranormal/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
- Romantic suspense
- Women’s Fiction
- New Adult
What are you not looking for?
Please note that we are not looking for “true confessions” or other non-fiction material. We are also not looking for stories that have already been published; although we will consider edge cases, “original” means original—not previously published.
Who would edit my story?
Original stories acquired for this program are edited by both in-house editors and freelance editors who are experts in the romance genre.
How much do you pay?
We pay $1,000 per story against a 25% royalty. (The royalty enters the picture with respect to downloadable versions of the work.)
Okay, I am ready to submit! What should I know?
Please do not query first. Due to the volume of submissions, we regret that we are unable to send responses for queries or for submissions that fall outside our guidelines. Please allow 8-12 weeks for review of your manuscript.
In your cover letter, please include the following:
- The subgenre of your story
- A brief summary of your story
- Confirmation that the story has not been previously published
- Whether or not you are a published author, and—if so—for whom you write
- Whether or not your story is connected to a larger universe in which you already write
This is not required, but please feel free to include your Twitter and Facebook URLs in the cover letter.
Stories should use standard manuscript format (Our preference is 12 point, Times New Roman, double-spaced.) and be emailed as Word files. Please send it with a cover letter including the elements described above to submissions[at]heroesandheartbreakers[dot]com.
Are simultaneous submissions allowed?
Yes, but please let us know you are submitting to other houses in your cover letter, and let us know as soon as possible if you’d like to withdraw your submission at any time during the review process.
If you have any other questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Otherwise, that’s it! We look forward to reading your story.
[via: Heroes and Heartbreakers.]
- Taking Submissions: Third Point Press December 2018 Issue - September 25, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Folded Word - September 25, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Urban Crime - September 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: American Gothic - September 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: 2100 A Health Odyssey Contest - September 24, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Zooscape - September 24, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Nanoism - September 24, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 09/23/2018 - September 23, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… An Interview with Dean M. Drinkel - September 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Black Labyrinth Anthology I : Possession - September 21, 2018