Payment: $1,000 against a 25% royalty
Note: This one takes paranormal and I know a few of the writers that read our listings write in a style that fits here so I’m posting it for you
Welcome, authors! The HeroesandHeartbreakers.com Short Story Program is seeking short original romance fiction for publication on both the H&H site and in e-book. Keep reading to learn how you can submit your work for consideration.
What are the submission guidelines?
We are looking for original short stories (15k-30k words) as well as novellas (30k-50k words) and category-length works (up to 60k). Novellas and category-length romances would most likely be considered for publication as serial stories. We welcome submissions of original romance stories in all subgenres, including:
- Paranormal/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
- Romantic suspense
- Women’s Fiction
- New Adult
What are you not looking for?
Please note that we are not looking for “true confessions” or other non-fiction material. We are also not looking for stories that have already been published; although we will consider edge cases, “original” means original—not previously published.
Who would edit my story?
Original stories acquired for this program are edited by both in-house editors and freelance editors who are experts in the romance genre.
How much do you pay?
We pay $1,000 per story against a 25% royalty. (The royalty enters the picture with respect to downloadable versions of the work.)
Okay, I am ready to submit! What should I know?
Please do not query first. Due to the volume of submissions, we regret that we are unable to send responses for queries or for submissions that fall outside our guidelines. Please allow 8-12 weeks for review of your manuscript.
In your cover letter, please include the following:
- The subgenre of your story
- A brief summary of your story
- Confirmation that the story has not been previously published
- Whether or not you are a published author, and—if so—for whom you write
- Whether or not your story is connected to a larger universe in which you already write
This is not required, but please feel free to include your Twitter and Facebook URLs in the cover letter.
Stories should use standard manuscript format (Our preference is 12 point, Times New Roman, double-spaced.) and be emailed as Word files. Please send it with a cover letter including the elements described above to submissions[at]heroesandheartbreakers[dot]com.
Are simultaneous submissions allowed?
Yes, but please let us know you are submitting to other houses in your cover letter, and let us know as soon as possible if you’d like to withdraw your submission at any time during the review process.
If you have any other questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Otherwise, that’s it! We look forward to reading your story.
[via: Heroes and Heartbreakers.]
- Taking Submissions: Nightmare Press Untitled Animal Horror Themed Anthology - November 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Rope Burns - November 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Shock Totem - November 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Takwin – A magazine of Islamicate Science Fiction - November 12, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 11/11/2018 - November 11, 2018
- An Interview With Carmelo Chimera Of Chimera’s Comics - November 9, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Story Seed Vault - November 9, 2018
- Video Refresh: Liz Butcher Interview - November 9, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation Magazine: OF FROST AND FIRELIGHT: A Winter’s Rhapsody - November 8, 2018
- Taking Submissions: With Painted Words: Memoiral - November 8, 2018