Note: As the name suggests, this is a humor magazine so be sure to read the guidelines. Speculative fiction “can” be humrous so I felt I would throw this one out there for anyone who has a sense of humor out there. I’m not funny so can’t submit to this one.
So they tell you you’re funny, huh? Great! That’s exactly what we’re looking for!
Here are a few things you should know to submit your funny cartoons and stories to Funny Times:
Our print publication pokes fun at politics, news, relationships, food, technology, pets, work, death, environmental issues, business, religion (yes, even religion) and the human condition in general. Not much is off limits, so do your best to make us laugh. Plus we’re advertising free, so whatever we like, we use.
Cartoons should be hard-copy printouts of high-res images (please don’t send your originals … we’re awfully clumsy with our coffee). We accept both single and multi-panel formats, color and black & white, though reproduction is nearly always in black and white.
Stories — the funniest you have ever written — should be about 500-700 words. Don’t send us things that aren’t funny. We won’t publish them.
There is a lead-time of several months because of our editorial calendar, meaning, i.e., December holiday material should be mailed for consideration in September. Please include a SASE for return of your material and/or our response. We do not accept electronic submissions of any type, nor can we reply to you in any way other than your SASE. We’re old school and unapologetic about it. We buy one-time reproduction rights and do not require exclusives; your work is ultimately yours to keep. We pay upon publication, not acceptance, and the rates are $25-$40 per cartoon based on reproduction size and $60 each for story. You’ll even get a complimentary subscription to Funny Times and some serious bragging rights.
Submissions should be mailed to:
The Funny Times
C/O The Editors
P.O. BOX 18530
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
Our website is not a complete reflection of the type of material included in our magazine. Might we suggest you send an 8.5″x11″ SASE with proper return postage (about $1.61 these days) for a sample copy?
Bonus Hints: Don’t overwhelm the editors. Send your top 5-10 cartoons or 3-5 stories. Tell us where you’ve been published before and let us know who else thinks you’re funny (this will not necessarily be held against you). Don’t take rejection too hard; it could be that the third time is the charm and we just didn’t “get” you before then.
Via: Funny Times.
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019
- Video Refresh: First Draft Blues - April 19, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: The Old Man - April 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume Three - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Little Girl Lost: Thirteen Tales of Youth Disrupted - April 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Cats. And Bikes. In Space. - April 17, 2019
- Calling All Poets! Billy Collins Teaches Reading And Writing Poetry In This New MasterClass! - April 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Shadow Booth Volumes 4 And 5 - April 16, 2019