Ongoing Submissions: Fantasy & Science Fiction
Payment: 7-12 cents per word on acceptance.
- We have no formula for fiction. We are looking for stories that will appeal to science fiction and fantasy readers. The SF element may be slight, but it should be present. We prefer character-oriented stories. We receive a lot of fantasy fiction, but never enough science fiction or humor. Do not query for fiction; send the entire manuscript. We publish fiction up to 25,000 words in length. Please read the magazine before submitting. A sample copy is available for $7.00 in the US and $15.00 elsewhere (to NJ address).
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions. Please type your manuscript on clean white bond, double spaced, with one inch margins. For a good article on standard manuscript preparation, see www.sfwa.org/2008/11/manuscript-preparation/ . Put your name on each page, and enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Writers from abroad are encouraged to send recyclable manuscripts with a letter-sized SASE and an International Reply Coupon or $1.10 in US postage. You can obtain information on how to place an international order by going to faq.usps.com and enter “postal store – International Orders” in the search box then the top entry in resulting list of links provides the necessary details.
- We prefer not to see more than one submission from a writer at a time.
- Allow 8 weeks for a response. Please write and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope if you have any questions.
- Payment is 7-12 cents per word on acceptance. We buy first North American and foreign serial rights and an option on anthology rights. All other rights are retained by the author.
- Our columns and non-fiction articles are assigned in house. We do not accept freelance submissions in those areas.
- Since we use so little art—just six covers a year, no interiors—we have no separate artist’s guidelines. Please send art samples to Gordon Van Gelder at the address below.
- Send cartoon queries as well as orders for sample copies to Gordon Van Gelder, Fantasy & Science Fiction, P.O. Box 3447, Hoboken, NJ 07030.
- Send story submissions to C.C. Finlay – Editor, The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, P.O. Box 8420, Surprise, AZ 85374. You can submit stories to him online at submissions.ccfinlay.com/fsf/