Payment: USD $25 for original fiction up to 6,000 words and USD $40 for fiction over 6,000 words.
Please read this page in full prior to submitting.
Fiction Guidelines: Double Feature Magazine is open to all types of original, unpublished Science Fiction and Horror. We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
Word Count: We are primarily looking for stories in the 1,500 to 6,000-words range (hard limits).
Submissions longer than 6,000-words are welcome, but these stories will only be considered for selection as serialized content exclusive to the ebook and print edition of the magazine. We have limited slots available for stories of this length.
We do not accept multiple submissions or simultaneous submissions. As such, we do our best to not keep your work tied-up on submission for an unreasonable length of time. Our goal is to respond to all fiction submissions within fourteen (14) calendar days. If you have not heard from us after fourteen days, feel free to query, and we will respond promptly.
Formatting: Please follow standard manuscript formatting guidelines, which can be found here. Please submit your work in .doc or .docx format.
Pay Rate: Upon receipt from Author of signed Publishing Agreement, We pay twenty-five dollars (USD $25) for original fiction up to 6,000 words. We pay forty dollars (USD $40) for fiction over 6,000 words.
Rights: We acquire first, exclusive, English-language, worldwide print and electronic text and audio rights for a period of six (6) months from the date we first publish the work, and non-exclusive rights thereafter to archive and/or publish the work in print and electronic text and audio.
Nonfiction Guidelines: We do not regularly purchase nonfiction content; however, if you have a horror-related or science fiction-related non-fiction piece up to 2,000 words (soft limit) that you would like to submit, please query us via email. Please note, we are not interested in reprints, reviews, or interviews. We pay a flat rate of fifteen dollars (USD $15) for nonfiction.
Art Guidelines: We are interested in nonexclusive rights to artwork for the cover of the magazine, as well as small, simple pieces to highlight the individual stories. We would love to have ongoing relationships with artists so that we can feature consistently great artwork to promote the fiction. We realize that, often, a book IS judged by its cover. Please query us and include links to some of your featured work and to your portfolio.
Submission and Query Instructions:
Please email all submissions and queries to [email protected].
The subject line should be formatted as follows:
Example 1: Horror Submission “The Greatest Horror Story” by Amy Author
Example 2: Nonfiction Query “Interview: Nora Novelist” by Johnny Writer
In your email, please include:
- The number of words in your piece;
- your relevant publishing history, awards, and/or other pertinent information;
- a brief (under 100 words) author bio, including website and/or social media links;
- an author photograph; and
- your name, address, and email.
Attach your submission as a .doc or .docx file attachment. Please do not paste your submission in the body of your transmittal email.
These guidelines are important to us maintaining an efficient submissions process, and following these guidelines helps us respond to you quickly. Help us help you. Thanks in advance-we look forward to reading your story!
Via: Double Feature Magazine.
- Trembling With Fear 09/23/2018 - September 23, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… An Interview with Dean M. Drinkel - September 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Black Labyrinth Anthology I : Possession - September 21, 2018
- Video Refresh: Finding Your Identity - September 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City - September 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Irregular Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Detective Fantasy Anthology - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Thuggish Itch: Devilish - September 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Tales From The Moonlit Path Halloween 2018 Issue - September 17, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The No Sleep Podcast - September 17, 2018