- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Monstrosities
December 31, 2017
Deadline: December 31st, 2017
Payment: 6 cents per word
“Monstrosities” – Humor (SF/Fantasy/Horror). Things that are just too big or that don’t scale. Whether it’s the new shopping mall down the street, kaiju attacking Tokyo, flawed utopian ideas, the supposed ultimate weapon, or somebody who’s way too big for his britches, we all have had to deal with humongous blunders. Get it off your chest–share with us your favorite monstrosities. (Photo by Juanbobadilla – Own work, commons.wikimedia.org)
Reading period: December 1 – December 31, 2017
Writer Deadline: December 31, 2017
Publication Date: March 1, 2018
Third Flatiron Publishing is based in Boulder, Colorado, and Ayr, Scotland. We are looking for submissions to our (approximately) quarterly themed anthologies. Our focus is on science fiction and fantasy and anthropological fiction. We want tightly plotted tales in out-of-the-ordinary scenarios. Light horror is acceptable, provided it fits the theme.
Please send us short stories that revolve around age-old questions and have something illuminating to tell us as human beings. Fantastical situations and creatures, exciting dialog, irony, mild horror, and wry humor are all welcome. Stories should be between 1,500 and 3,000 words. Inquire if longer.
Role models for the type of fiction we want include Kurt Vonnegut, Arthur C. Clarke, Dan Simmons, Connie Willis, Vernor Vinge, and Ken Kesey. We want to showcase some of the best new shorts available today.
For each anthology, we will also accept a few very short humor pieces on the order of the “Shouts and Murmurs” feature in The New Yorker Magazine (600 words or so). These can be written from a first-person perspective or can be mini-essays that tell people what they ought to do, how to do something better, or explain why something is like it is, humorously. An SF/Fantasy bent is preferred.
Themes and Schedules
Continuing with Third Flatiron’s quarterly themed anthologies, we will be soliciting SF/Fantasy/Horror short stories with the following themes. Themes are designed to be open-ended, allowing authors considerable leeway. We appreciate short, imaginative tales, preferring those that work with the theme in some way. Short stories should be 3,000 words or less. Flash humor pieces (<=1,000 words) can be on any theme. We aim to be inclusive and encourage submissions from all creators. Please submit during the reading periods.
If you’re interested in having your work read and getting paid a little something for it, then submit your story today.
Third Flatiron Publishing are a specialist digital publisher and can help you distribute your work to a truly global audience.
Via: Third Flat Iron.
- Taking Submissions: Alchemy and Artifacts (Tesseracts Twenty-Two) - January 23, 2018
- ‘Still Dark’ Blog Tour – The Most Important Class I Ever Took - January 23, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Temporal Fractures: [Mis]Adventures in Time - January 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Schlock! Horror! - January 22, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 01/21/2018 - January 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Lost Souls and Robots & Artificial Intelligence - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Internet is Where the Robots Live Now Anthology - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nefariam: The Element of Crime - January 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: She’s Lost Control - January 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: City In The Ice - January 17, 2018