- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Galileo’s Theme Park
Deadline: April 15th, 2018
Payment: 6 cents per word
“Galileo’s Theme Park” – Space opera, SF, physics. The great Italian scientist is famous for standing up for science in the face of the Inquisition, doing his best work while under house arrest. He also brought us our first views of Jupiter’s moons by combining a convex lens with a concave one to invent a high quality telescope. We invite you to take us on a journey to the lands beyond Earth revealed to us by Galileo and other space scientists. Suggested reading: “The Old Astronomer” by Sarah Williams (Art: Galileo during IUS burn. NASA. http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/galileo/images/artwork.html)
Reading Period: March 1 – April 15, 2018
Writer Deadline: April 15, 2018
Publication Date: June 15, 2018
Third Flatiron Publishing is based in Boulder, Colorado, and Ayr, Scotland. We are looking for submissions to our (approximately) quarterly themed anthologies. Our focus is on science fiction and fantasy and anthropological fiction. We want tightly plotted tales in out-of-the-ordinary scenarios. Light horror is acceptable, provided it fits the theme.
Please send us short stories that revolve around age-old questions and have something illuminating to tell us as human beings. Fantastical situations and creatures, exciting dialog, irony, mild horror, and wry humor are all welcome. Stories should be between 1,500 and 3,000 words. Inquire if longer.
Role models for the type of fiction we want include Kurt Vonnegut, Arthur C. Clarke, Dan Simmons, Connie Willis, Vernor Vinge, and Ken Kesey. We want to showcase some of the best new shorts available today.
For each anthology, we will also accept a few very short humor pieces on the order of the “Shouts and Murmurs” feature in The New Yorker Magazine (600 words or so). These can be written from a first-person perspective or can be mini-essays that tell people what they ought to do, how to do something better, or explain why something is like it is, humorously. An SF/Fantasy bent is preferred.
See the “Submissions” tab for preferred formats, etc.
If you’re interested in having your work read and getting paid a little something for it, then submit your story today.
Third Flatiron Publishing are a specialist digital publisher and can help you distribute your work to a truly global audience.
Via: Third Flatiron
- Taking Submissions: Crypt-Gnats: Horror you’ve been itching to read - June 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Sky’s The Limit - June 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Gimme the Loot: Stories Inspired by The Notorious B.I.G. - June 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions – Millhaven Horror/Dark Fantasy Edition 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Crash Code - June 19, 2018
- Video Refresh: Rejection – The Ugly Word - June 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: WhimsyCon 2019 Anthology - June 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Corpus Press Untitled 2019 Non-Themed Horror Anthology - June 18, 2018
- 5 More Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - June 18, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 06/17/2018 - June 17, 2018