Deadline: February 28th, 2019
Payment: 50% of the royalties divided equally among the authors
What We Talk About When We Talk About It
Darkhouse Books seeks submissions for the third installment in its RIFF literary series, What We Talk About When We Talk About It: Variations on the Theme of Love.
Send us your best poetry or prose on this very broad theme.
What is love, anyhow? You can love your partner, your friend, your country, your dog, cat, rat, your local library, your family, yourself. You can love money, liquor, food, wilderness, or the dive bar on the corner. What does love make people do? What will people give for it? What will they steal? Does the razor love the wrist as a baby loves the breast? Where does sex figure in all of this? Does it?
What we love and do not love:
- This series leans toward the literary while welcoming all genres, so long as the author has paid close attention to craft.
- We are not looking for standard romance, but if you think your romance will win our love anyway, send it.
- Send us work that stands out because of its excellence, of course, but also because of its creative take on the theme and on the craft of writing. Take a risk and do it with panache!
- When it comes to prose, the editors prefer short and tight, but if you write long and you can prove us wrong, you’re in.
- We will accept reprints so long as the piece was published more than a year before you submit it, and you are submitting in accordance with the previous publisher’s guidelines, and ours.
- Maximum length is 5,000 words; there is no minimum.
Format your piece in 12-point Times New Roman or Courier, double spaced, with initial 0.5” indents, and 1” margins.
Send your manuscript as .doc or .docx. PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN ANY OTHER FORMAT.
Submit no more than five poems and/or two prose pieces. Submissions may be emailed to [email protected], and should include the word Love in the subject line.
Submissions will be accepted from November 10, 2018 through midnight (PST) February 28, 2019.
Payment to contributors is 50% of the royalties divided equally among the authors.
Via: Dark House Books.
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Creatures - January 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 01/13/2019 - January 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Winters - January 11, 2019
- Video Refresh: Taking The Next Step - January 11, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: Unnatural Creatures – Aberrant Behavior - January 11, 2019