Deadline: March 31st 2019
Payment: 1 cent a word and a print contributor copy
David Cronenberg is one of the greatest cult-film directors of all time. Through his varied and highly influential career, he has managed to forge a path through cinema that includes films of horror, crime, psychological period pieces, and even a straightforward car-racing movie. His name is synonymous with Body-Horror, and for good reason. Our aim is to celebrate the man with an anthology of short stories influenced by his body of work. If you write weird fiction, horror, bizarro, crime, transgressive, or otherwise dark fiction and you love the films (and single novel!) of David Cronenberg, we would love to see a story from you. There’s a reason the term ‘Cronenbergian’ exists, we want stories that fit that vibe. – Submissions close March 31st 2019
– Submissions should be sent to: [email protected]
– Please format the email subject as: Submission – The New Flesh – “Name of story” – Please attach as a .doc or .docx file. Do not include your submission as the body of the email. If you do this we will delete your submission without reading it.
– Stories should be between 2,000-5,000 words with 3,000 being the sweet spot.
– Please use a standard font at a 10/12 point and do not double-space after your periods. – We are seeking stories that are emotionally driven, narratives that are impactful, and stories that are well put together. We want characters with depth and life, characters with pathos. We also want goopy slime, visceral gore, surreal elements, and things that simply should not be. Some of the obvious elements we are looking for include: body-horror, shadowy organizations pulling the character’s strings, explorations of where the body and technology collide, philosophical and psychological subtexts, and characters seeking some kind of transcendence.
– Though Cronenberg often includes sexual themes and the use of the venereal, we are not looking for straight-up erotica. Graphic sex is fine if it works for the story, obviously, but we don’t want your fuck stories. – Like Cronenberg, we’re big fans of JG Ballard, William Burroughs, Philip K. Dick, and Franz Kafka, among others – so don’t shy away from bringing in the textures and atmospheres of some of his influences into the mix. – The anthology is scheduled for release near the end of 2019. – Weirdpunk Books will be publishing the book. Please check out our previous anthology releases for a better understanding of what we do and what we like – Zombie Punks Fuck Off (co-released with Clash Books), Hybrid Moments: A Literary Tribute to The Misfits, and Blood for You: A Literary Tribute to GG Allin. – The New Flesh will be edited by Sam Richard – editor of Zombie Punks Fuck Off /owner of Weirdpunk Books – and Brendan Vidito – author of Nightmares in Ecstasy. – Authors for accepted stories will receive 1 cent a word and a print contributor copy. They will also have the option of purchasing additional copies at cost. – Once we have picked what stories will make it into the anthology, we will reach out to everyone who submitted. We are just two people so please be patient and don’t inquire regarding the status of your piece – we will let you know once has or has not been accepted. – POC authors, women and women-identifying authors, non-binary authors, LGBTQ+ authors are all highly encouraged to submit. We want stories from everyone, but we especially want stories from under-represented groups.
– Also, if you’re a nazi, nationalist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or misogynistic type, don’t bother.
– Please only submit finished, clean manuscripts. We aren’t interested in what you want to do with a story, only what you have done. – If you have a story that you are sitting on that has virtually no connection to the theme of this anthology, do us both a favor and don’t send it in. Don’t be that person. Please.
Via: Weirdpunk Books Facebook.