Deadline: April 15th, 2019
Payment: 6 cents per word
PLEASE READ THE SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES BELOW. THE HINNOM MAGAZINE RETRO “WEIRD TALES” EDITION WILL BE A PROFESSIONAL MARKET, PAYING 6 CENTS ($0.06) PER WORD FOR FICTION, AND WILL ONLY BE OPEN TO FEMALE AUTHORS.
Greetings from Hinnom Valley,
After the immense success of the Kickstarter, we’re kicking things into gear. We mentioned a “retro” edition of Hinnom Magazine that will be akin to the old Weird Tales magazines of the 1930s. When deciding the direction we wanted to pursue for this project, we really wanted to make a statement with this publication. Considering the old Weird Tales magazines were predominantly male writers, we thought it would be fascinating to see an issue of Hinnom Magazine, designed like Weird Tales, but featuring only female authors. We have a feeling this publication is going to be something special, and we are beyond thrilled to read thrilling stories from female authors of Weird Fiction and Cosmic Horror.
An idea of what some of the format will look like:
FICTION SUBMISSION DETAILS:
We are looking for stories and poems that fit the themes of Weird Fiction and Cosmic Horror from ONLY FEMALE AUTHORS. Horror, Science Fiction, and Fantasy are all welcomed, as long as they fit in the realms of Weird and Cosmic. All stories and poems must also be speculative in some way. What we mean by this is that we don’t want stories or poems based in realism. While many great horror stories and poems are plausible in modern reality, these are not for Hinnom Magazine. Thus, all horror MUST BE otherworldly or supernatural in some way. Science Fiction MUST BE dark and speculative. Fantasy MUST BE morally ambiguous and grim. Any combination of the above genres is fine. In fact, we encourage it.
If you wish to learn more of the stories we prefer, download a free issue of Hinnom Magazine by clicking the button below.
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR FICTION & POETRY:
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 6 months from the date of publication
- If selected and approved to be republished in an anthology in the future, the author whose piece is submitted will be paid $50.00
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR DIGITAL ART:
- Non-exclusive electronic, print, and reprint rights
- Ability to use the art for promotional and advertising purposes
All fiction and poetry must be submitted in proper manuscript format. If you have any doubts regarding what this is, click on this link.
STORIES AND POEMS THAT ARE NOT FORMATTED PROPERLY WILL BE REJECTED IMMEDIATELY! (THIS HELPS THE EDITORS DURING THE FORMATTING STAGE SO PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF THAT.)
If you submit a story or poem without a title and/or author name, or in a Google Drive file, it will automatically be rejected.
FICTION: All fiction will be paid the professional rate of 6 cents ($0.06) per word. Word count must be between 1000-6000 words. Please query if your story is outside of these parameters, and read at the bottom for our sweet spots for story lengths.
POETRY: Poetry will be paid a flat rate of $65 per poem. No length restrictions.
AUTHOR COPIES: Each contributor will receive ONE (1) complimentary copy of the work in which they appear.
NO REPRINTS ALLOWED. FICTION MUST BE ORIGINAL AND UNPUBLISHED, UNLESS OTHERWISE REQUESTED.
All payments are made through PayPal or check/money order (based on publisher’s discretion) before publication. Fiction and poetry can only be sold as a reprint after publication.
WHAT NOT TO SUBMIT:
- Absolutely NO erotica or fan fiction.
- If vulgarity or obscene concepts are not integral to the plot, expect a rejection. The most taboo topics you can think of are okay, as long as they are executed in a professional and intellectual manner.
- No excerpts from novels or unfinished pieces. Stories and poems must stand on their own with a beginning, middle, and end.
- No simultaneous submissions, though multiple submissions are okay, as long as you don’t exceed three during the reading period. For poems, feel free to submit as many as you like, as long as the pieces still fit the required themes.
- No reprints.
- Stories or poems with numerous errors, including grammatical, syntax, and/or punctuation errors. We are proud of our professionalism at Gehenna & Hinnom Books and we hope to publish authors who share our professional outlook on the writing industry.
- If your story or poem was rejected for a different publication from us, do NOT send it to one of our different submissions calls. If we thought your story or poem would fit for a different publication of ours, we would have let you know from the beginning.
- Some general themes and topics we shy away from if they are not executed in an original manner: vampires, werewolves, zombies, possession, demons, ghosts, aliens, basically all the tropes in general media. We want something original and new, a story/poem that we haven’t seen before.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Send all submissions and inquiries to gehennapublishinghouse (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Manuscript must be properly formatted and edited before anything else. See format guidelines here.
- Title email as follows: HinnomRetro/(Title of Story/Poem)/(Author Name) Example: HinnomRetro/Space/McMillan.
- Attach properly formatted manuscript to email as either a DOC, DOCX, or RTF file. No others are accepted. Do not include story/poem in body of email. This will be grounds for automatic rejection.
- Include in the body of your email, or as a cover letter to your manuscript, a short bio including any publication history, awards, social media links, etc.
We are aware that your time is very valuable as a writer and that when rejected, your first move is to submit elsewhere. Because of this, we hope to respond to your submission within 30 Working Days of it being received.
(NOTE: Delays may occur if the submission volume is overwhelming. A receipt letter may be sent out if this occurs, just to notify the authors of the delay.)
MARCH 10TH-APRIL 15TH
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted.
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, and reprint rights.
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful.
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, unfortunately, we cannot accept your submission. Hinnom Magazine is an adult magazine and because of this, we require all authors to be of legal age to read and/or submit to it.
Finally, if accepted here and then republished, you are required to add the volume and issue you were published in.
Thank you so much for your time and we cannot wait to read your fascinating works.
Via: Gehenna and Hinnom Books.
- Ongoing Submissions: Dark Moments - March 22, 2019
- Video Refresh: Story Worms Writing What You Know - March 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Translunar Travelers Lounge - March 21, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Rock and a Hard Place Magazine - March 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume One (Poetry) - March 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts - March 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Bumper Book of British Bizarro! - March 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Chew on This! - March 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of Edgar Allan Poe - March 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Dying Earth - March 18, 2019