Here we are, at the beginning of another brand new year, and we’re probably all wondering where the time went, right?
2020 is going to be a pretty big year for me, and I’m staring at it with both excitement and abject terror!
For one, I’m having a landmark birthday this year (don’t ask how old I’ll be, it’s obviously 21!) I have definitely been feeling my age recently, even if I still refuse to act it!
September will see my youngest starting school. This will, pretty much, double my current amount of child-free time. While part of me is tempted to use the extra time lazily basking in coffee shops… No… Hold on… ALL of me wants to do this! Sadly, my business sense is telling me to use the time a little more productively. Grudgingly, I’m listening.
This year I will be launching a brand new pen name. I’ve been toying with the idea for a while, but stubbornly held off taking the plunge for two reasons: first, I’m a little narcissistic and like seeing my own name on my books. Second, I’m a little narcissistic and like seeing my own name on my books. Oh, hang on. That’s the same reason twice, isn’t it? Maybe I’m more of a narcissist than I thought!
Seriously though, I’m also incredibly lazy. The thought of running two websites, two mailing lists, and two sets of social media accounts has really put me off doing this. But, it’s time, and I really feel that it’s time.
With this pen name, I’ll be writing a new genre, writing specifically to market, and using a completely different publishing and marketing strategy to my current one. Why? Something to do with eggs and baskets or something. Maybe I’m just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. But, this is how business is; trying different strategies, and seeing what works.
Besides, when I make millions from my pen name, it will leave me completely free to write from the soul under my real name. Writing my genre mash-ups that are my heart’s desire, but bloody difficult to market!
- Story Worms: A New Pair of Boots - January 4, 2020
- Story Worms: Let’s Talk About Voice - July 24, 2019
- Story Worms: It’s Better Together - April 17, 2019
- Story Worms: Finding Your Tribe - January 16, 2019
- Story Worms: You are More Than your Wordcount - November 17, 2018
- Story Worms: Biting the Bullet - July 22, 2017
- Story Worms: What’s the Worth of Permafree? - May 14, 2016
- Ongoing Submissions: Ink Stains - April 8, 2016
- Women in Horror Month Special: Behind the Veil - February 22, 2016
- Women in Horror Month Special: Interview with Eeva Lancaster - February 19, 2016