Rock and a Hard Place Magazine is a cross-genre magazine publishing works of fiction that focus on the plight of marginalized, poor, depressed, and desperate people.
What types of stories will you publish?
We want fiction from any genre. We want stories that mix genres. We want stories that don’t acknowledge the existence of genre or categories.
Really, what we want is stories that detail life at the bottom or at the margins of human society. These can be stories about losers who always make the wrong decisions, or they can be stories about people who always make the right decisions but who still can’t get ahead because of the hand they were dealt in life.
You can make it weird. You can make it sad. You can make it dark. Or you can make it just the tiniest bit hopeful.
The title of this magazine is Rock and Hard Place. We want stories about that situation.
What do you not want?
You know that cousin you have that inherited a bunch of money and who everything goes right for? We don’t want stories about him or any of his friends.
Also, don’t send us any racist, homophobic, transphobic, or misogynistic shit. If you do, not only will we not accept your piece, but we will mail you actual shit.
How long should my story be?
Between 2,000 and 5,000 words, but if it’s a little more or a little less, send it. If it’s good, we’ll publish it.
How much are you going to pay me?
We’ll pay you $35 via paypal upon publication.
Can I submit garbage?
Not literal garbage, no. But if you are a new writer and haven’t got the polishing thing going yet, send it over. If we see a story in there, we’ll try to work with you.
We do however reserve the right to not publish whatever we don’t want to publish. This includes submissions made while we are hangry, and we expect you to know when that is.
How should I submit?
Email your piece as an attached word document to [email protected] Add Submission, the name of the piece, and your name in the subject line.
- Taking Submissions: Gruesome Games - July 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Mythical Girls - July 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2019 - July 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Mortal Realm – New Worlds (Sci-Fi) - July 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trigger Warning - July 15, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 07/14/2019 - July 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tell-Tale Press Short Stories - July 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Sci Phi Journal - July 11, 2019
- Open Novel Submissions: Mobius Books - July 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Longevity - July 10, 2019