Payment: Payment in US is $12 on acceptance + 2 contributor’s copies, outside of US is 3-issue subscription plus 2 copies.
I print primarily poetry, but also publish a small amount of short short fiction. The genres of fantasy and SF are preferred. I am interested in experimental formats and content, and prefer fantastic horror a la Lovecraft or Blackwood to the blood and gore type. Any SF or fantasy is appropriate if it isn’t sappy or trite. If your poem rhymes, be sure that the rhymes are not forced, and that the meter is consistent.
The magazine consists of 20 digest-sized pages with card-stock cover. Publication is thrice yearly, issues are numbered sequentially. Issue #1 was published in January of 1986. Print run 200. Most-recent issue is #85. DN is distributed free to interested libraries.
Poetry & Fiction
Maximum length for poetry or fiction is 2 single-spaced typed pages, but I prefer less than one page. I prefer e-submissions in the body of the message. Send up to five manuscripts with SASE from the US. From other countries use an IRC or US stamps. Submissions lacking sufficient return postage or equivalent will be discarded. Cover letter not required. PLEASE put your name and address on each poem you submit!
I print 15-20 poems per issue. Buying 1st N.Am. serial rights unless state otherwise. Payment is $12 on acceptance + 2 contributor’s copies. Contributors outside North America can instead receive a 3-issue subscription plus 2 copies. DN is a tough market because of the high volume of poetry submissions I receive. Fewer than 5% of submissions are accepted. Response time is commonly 4-8 weeks. Sample copy for $5.
Artwork should be line drawings; no half-tones. Good photocopies OK, but I prefer to receive JPEG’s as e-mail attachments. Art should be no larger than 4 1/2 by 7 1/2 inches, but I can reduce it. Payment $12 on acceptance plus 2 copies. I always need covers, and small filler illustrations. Filler illos that are the right size and shape to fill up the bottom of a page are particularly useful. Payment for covers includes an extra copy of the issue.
Send submissions to: [email protected]
If you must send snail-mail submissions:
Dreams & Nightmares, 1300 Kicker Rd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404.
Please address all other correspondence to the e-mail address given above. I will respond promptly to e-mail messages.
David C. Kopaska-Merkel
Via: Dreams & Nightmares.
- Taking Submissions: Thinking Horror Vol. 3: Folk Horror - July 19, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Unreal Magazine - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Other Stories Vol 45. Abandoned Places - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Gruesome Games - July 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Mythical Girls - July 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2019 - July 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Mortal Realm – New Worlds (Sci-Fi) - July 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trigger Warning - July 15, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 07/14/2019 - July 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tell-Tale Press Short Stories - July 12, 2019