Note: This publication opens and closes without known set deadlines.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for original and previously unpublished fantasy and horror short fiction of maximum 1500 words, written in English. We particularly like honest and daring stories with strong characters pursuing goals, although we recognise that if a story is good, it’s good.
We’re realists, so we don’t need a happy ending. Send us those stories that other publishers rejected because they were too dark.
Having said that, we don’t want stories with gratuitous and/or over-the-top sex, violence or swearing. And it should go without saying, but we won’t allow discrimination either.
On a similar note, we’re also not very fond of preachy stories, where one character explains to another how terrible humans are. We get it, people suck.
The legal stuff
We’re a new website and won’t be able to pay you the big bucks (hopefully, this will change in the future). But we want to be fair as well. Because if it’s good enough for us to publish, it’s good enough for us to pay you for it. We’re therefore paying £20 for each published story (payment currently made only through PayPal). This is for exclusive first world electronic rights (stories published on our website and future email newsletters) and for nonexclusive reprint rights in our yearly anthologies containing stories from the previous 12 months (published on Amazon as paperback and ebook). We reserve the right to archive work on our website to keep it available to our readers.
We will also publish stories in a magazine directly on Amazon as paperback and ebook). We pay £20 for exclusive first world electronic rights (ebooks) and exclusive first world print rights (paperback). We will let authors know where their story will appear when we send out the contract.
How to submit
To submit your story, please email your file as an attachment (.doc or .docx) to . Please use the standard manuscript format (you can download a template here). Don’t forget to include in the body of the email the genre and the approximate word count. You can also add a short bio, including any previous publications, although this is not necessary.
We currently accept simultaneous submissions. But please let us know in the body of your email if you have submitted your story somewhere else or are planning to. Please also let us know immediately if your story has been accepted somewhere else.
We currently don’t accept multiple submissions.
What happens next
We aim to make a decision within 30 days.
Don’t forget to check the website for upcoming stories or follow us on Facebook.
Via: Dream of Shadows
- WIHM: Brene Brown and Monsters: Finding Connection in Horror - February 23, 2020
- WIHM: Lizzie Borden – Misunderstood Orphan Or Criminal Mastermind? - February 22, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror USA: Nevada - February 21, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Cosmic Horror Monthly - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Corners of the World - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Disturbia - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Every Day Fiction – April 2020 Themes - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Historic Fantasy - February 18, 2020
- WIHM: Just Sit Down and Bleed: On Writing Female and Diverse Characters - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Worst Laid Plans: An Anthology of Vacation Horror - February 18, 2020