- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Unfading Daydream
July 31, 2019
Deadline: July 31st, 2019
Payment: $10 an a contributor’s copy
Unfading Daydream is looking for unique and exceptional fiction to be showcased in our quarterly literary magazine. We strive to feature stories within the genres that have inspired us (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc) as well as stories that feature LGBTQ+ themes.
We are currently seeking submissions! We are seeking submissions for Issue 9, which is themed possession. Defined as: the state of having, owning, or controlling something. Think demons, magic, technology…all different ways of controlling someone. Or go with something more subtle.Surprise us.
- We are open to established and new, emerging authors.
- In terms of length, we’re looking for stories between 1000 and 7000 words. Shorter or longer stories will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No previously published works.
- Please no simultaneous submissions
- If you are under 18, we require parental permission and have made a permission form. The form can be found HERE
- Reading periods are May to July and November to January.
- All submissions must be in by 11:59pm CST on the last day of the reading period (July or January).
- Be advised that if we get enough stories before the end of a submission period, we may close submissions early.
- Please do not send submissions outside of our reading periods. Submissions received outside of reading periods will not be considered.
- Expect a decision within four weeks of the reading period closing
- See full guidelines below
Stories that are between 1000-3000 words will receive $5. Stories that are longer than that will receive $10. All contributors receive a hard copy of the magazine. In time, we would like to pay contributors more!
- We accept submissions only by email.
- Free to submit!
- Please send your submission to submit [at] unfadingdaydream [dot] com with the title of ‘Unfading Daydream Submission’.
We want to see your unique sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc. We prefer stories that are between 1000-7000 words, but if you feel that your 8000 word story or your 700 word story is brilliant, we’d love to see it.
The Submission Piece
- One submission per author per reading period please. Contributors are allowed to include one story on their submission*. Please attach the stories individually to the submission email.
*this is new as of the reading period for Issue 3*
- Unless there is a theme stated for a particular reading period, there is no theme.
- Previously unpublished works only.
- If you are submitting a translation of another author’s work (from foreign language to English), we will need to see that you have permission from the author via a permission form. Translated work will be credited like this:TITLE
translated by Translator
- No erotica or explicit sex scenes please. Romance and alluding to sex scenes are both okay though!
- We would prefer the file format be MS Word or RTF. Please no PDFs or links to Google Docs! Please do not put the story in the body of the email.
- Each story should be double spaced and in an easy to read font like Calibri, Times New Roman, Arial, or Courier. Preferred font size is 12 as one of the editors has vision problems.
- Your name, address, and email should be on the left side of the first page header and the approximate word count on the right side. Example:
- The right side header on the pages following the first should include your last name, the story’s title, and the page number. Example:
- The title of the piece and the name you would prefer to be published under should be on the first page of the story before the text of the story. Example:
- If you have made an error during the submission process, please contact us rather than sending another submission email.
The Cover Letter
We say cover letter, but this is going to go in the body of the submission email.
- We want to know more about you! Briefly tell us about you and your accomplishments.
- Everyone has something unique about them. Between our editors, we have a third degree black belt, two cosplayers, and a computer programmer. And there’s only two of us. We want to know the interesting bits!
- And as we said before: keep it brief.
- In case you are chosen, please include a 3rd person, brief (less than 100 words) bio/byline
Ways to Get Banned
We’re pretty easy going people, but there are a few ways to get banned/blacklisted.
- Depictions of rape or sexual assault.
- Depictions of child molestation or brutalization of children.
- Any sexual depictions of children. Anyone under 18 is considered a child.
- Depictions of brutalization of women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, or any other marginalized people for reasons of hate.
- Depictions of animal abuse.
The Legal Bits
No one likes the legal bits, but we have to go through this.
We at Unfading Daydream reserve the right to the exclusive first run of your story as well as the rights to include your story in a non-exclusive yearly anthology. Rights to the story are claimed upon acceptance. After your story runs in Unfading Daydreams, you have the rights to publish it as you see fit.
Via: Unfading Daydream.