- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Hinnom Magazine
Deadline: September 15th, 2017 (Opens Sept 1st!)
Payment: $0.005 cents per word with a minimum payment of $5.00 and a maximum cap of $25.00
Greetings from the Valley of Hinnom,
Hinnom Magazine is a bi-monthly e-zine that publishes high quality science fiction, fantasy, and horror on the last day of every other month, starting in February. We seek authors who have a unique voice, interesting writing styles, and unparalleled storytelling talents. We do not shy from topics or concepts of a darker nature and, actually, encourage it.
- January 1-15th
- March 1-15th
- May 1-15th
- July 1-15th
- September 1-15th
- November 1-15th
- February 28th
- April 30th
- June 30th
- August 31st
- October 31st
- December 31st
Please submit stories during first fifteen days of the months selected as reading periods. Stories received after this will not be read. Artists can submit year round.
(Inaugural Issue will be Published on June 30th)
FICTION SUBMISSION DETAILS:
List of Genres Accepted in Alphabetical Order:
- Body Horror
- Cosmicism/Cosmic Horror
- Cthulhu Mythos/ Lovecraftian Horror
- Dark Fantasy
- Dystopian Fiction
- Gothic Horror
- Grimdark Fantasy
- Hard SF
- Hardcore Horror
- High Fantasy
- Macabre horror
- Occult Fiction
- Post-Human/Trans-Human SF
- Psychological Horror
- Science Fiction
- Space Opera
- Sword and Sorcery
- Weird Fiction
Any blending of these genres is also fine. We encourage creative takes on classic themes. In fact, combining these concepts will likely increase your chance of publication.
Science Fiction is meant to beg the question, “What if?”
Horror is meant to entice the very emotions that define our species: fear, terror, and dread.
Fantasy focuses on imaginative detachment from reality, forging worlds and universes unseen and unheard.
These genres require the utmost levels of creativity and we want to read your most macabre, disgusting, imaginative, fantastical, morose, colorful, and prophetic tales.
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR ORIGINAL ART
- Non-exclusive electronic, print, and reprint rights
- Ability to use the art for promotional and advertising purposes
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR FICTION
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 6 months from the date of publication
- If selected and approved to be republished in an anthology in the future, the author whose piece is submitted will be paid $0.005 cents per word with a minimum payment of $5.00 and a maximum cap of $25.00.
All fiction must be submitted in proper manuscript format. If you have any doubts regarding what this is, click on this link.
STORIES THAT ARE NOT FORMATTED PROPERLY WILL BE REJECTED IMMEDIATELY!
Suggestions for styles we are searching for include, but are not limited to, the following authors: H.P. Lovecraft, Frank Herbert, Thomas Ligotti, T.E. Grau, Laird Barron, Brian Evenson, Nathan Ballingrud, Ursula K. Le Guin, W.H. Pugmire, Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, etc.
ARTWORK: Artwork used for individual covers of online and print magazines, anthologies. Payment dependent on artist.
FLASH FICTION: 250 to 1000 words. Paid $10 per story accepted.
SHORT STORIES: 1001 to 5000 words. Paid $15 per story accepted.
NO REPRINTS ALLOWED. FICTION MUST BE ORIGINAL AND UNPUBLISHED.
All payments are made through Paypal on the day of publication. Fiction can only be sold as a reprint after publication.
WHAT NOT TO SUBMIT:
- Absolutely NO erotica or fan fiction.
- If vulgarity or obscene concepts are not integral to the plot, expect a rejection. The most taboo topics you can think of are okay, as long as they are executed in a professional and intellectual manner.
- No excerpts from novels or unfinished pieces. Stories must stand on their own with a beginning, middle, and end.
- No simultaneous submissions, though multiple submissions are okay, as long as you don’t exceed three during a reading period. Wait at least five days before submitting again if rejected.
- No reprints.
- Stories with numerous errors, including grammatical, syntax, and/or punctuation errors. We are proud of our professionalism at Gehenna & Hinnom Books and we hope to publish authors who share our professional outlook on the writing industry.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Send all submissions and inquiries to gehennapublishinghouse (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Manuscript must be properly formatted and edited before anything else. See format guidelines here.
- Title email as follows: Hinnom(Abbreviated Month of Reading Period Submitted)/(Title of Story)/(Name) Example: HinnomJan/Grau/Screamer
- Attach properly formatted manuscript to email as either a DOC, DOCX, or RTF file. No others are accepted. Do not include story in body of email. This will be grounds for automatic rejection.
- Include in the body of your email, or as a cover letter to your manuscript, a short bio including any publication history, awards, social media links, etc.
- Artists, please send all artwork to us as either a JPEG or PNG.
We are aware that your time is very valuable as a writer and that when rejected, your first move is to submit elsewhere. Because of this, we hope to respond to your submission within two weeks of it being received.
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted.
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, and reprint rights.
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful.
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, unfortunately, we cannot accept your submission. Hinnom Magazine is an adult magazine and because of this, we require all authors to be of legal age to read and/or submit to it.
Finally, if accepted here and then republished, you are required to add the volume and issue you were published in.
Thank you so much for your time and we cannot wait to read your fascinating works.
Via: Gehenna and Hinnom.
- Taking Submissions: Cenorot - November 20, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 11/19/2017 - November 19, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine – January 2018 - November 18, 2017
- Taking Submissions: We Shall Be Monsters: Frankenstein Two Centuries On - November 17, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Hell’s Empire - November 16, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Sanctuary - November 15, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Allegory Volume 33/60 - November 14, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Til Death: An Anti-Valentine’s Day Poetry Anthology - November 13, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 11/12/2017 - November 12, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Out of Your Shadow: Empowered Sidekicks - November 10, 2017