Taking Submissions: Gothic Romance title TBD
Deadline: September 30th, 2023
Payment: 8 cents per word
Theme: Gothic romances that are equal parts horror and romance.
Editors: Heather & S.D. Vassallo
Theme: We’re looking for gothic romances that are equal parts horror and romance.
The short stories should be mysterious, atmospheric, and include a HEA (or happy for
now). This is an open call with no slots reserved for invitation pieces. Women and non-binary authors only (our definition of women includes transgender women and femme-identifying individuals – and always will. If you identify as woman by any definition, or identify as non-binary, this call is open to you).
– Horror and romance
– Happily ever after or at least happy for now
– Overwhelming sense of menace or dread
– Atmosphere (weather) and/or place prominently add to the story
– Traditionally spooky locations, such as old manor houses or decaying plantations
aren’t necessary, but the location should be spooky.
– Actual supernatural horror, implied supernatural horror, or psychological horror
– Haunted places/houses welcome
– Sizzle: anywhere from closed door to super sizzle welcome (but the sizzle must
drive the plot forward)
– Time period: anytime in the past or present
– Location: anywhere on Earth
– Extreme Horror (excessive gore, explicit sex just for gore/sex sake)
– Manuscripts that don’t follow the guidelines
– Women and non-binary authors only (our definition of women includes transgender women and femme-identifying individuals – and always will. If you identify as woman by any definition, or identify as non-binary, this call is open to you).
– Short Stories 2,000 to 6,000 words
– First page should have your legal and author name, email address, word count,
and title of story
– Font 12 pt Garamond
– Double Spaced
– No headers, footers, or special formatting
– DOC, DOCx, or RTF format
– Up to 2 short stories per author (submit separately)
– Simultaneous submissions acceptable, please let us know if your piece is
– $0.08 a word
– Digital and paperback copy of anthology
Via: Brigid’s Gate Press.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!