- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Deep Magic E-Zine
Deadline: September 30th, 2019
Payment: $.06 per word for the first 9,999 words, with payment capped at $599 for stories longer than 10,000 words,
Note: Reprints allowed at $.02 per word for the first 10,000 words, with payment capped at $200 for stories longer than 10,000
Thank you for your interest in submitting to Deep Magic. What you first need to understand is that we aim to be the dominant magazine for clean fantasy and sci-fi stories. It’s our tag-line. If you can tell a gripping story that doesn’t rely on sex, swearing, and graphic violence—you’ve come to the right place. If not, there are plenty of other magazines and venues out there. Move along. Move along (Jedi hand wave). Please consider reading Deep Magic to get an idea of the type of stories we publish. You can read our inaugural issue for only $.99. We are keeping the June 2016 issue at this special price so authors can check out our style without breaking the bank.
Deep Magic is a quarterly electronic magazine that publishes clean short fiction in the fantasy and science fiction genres. Our issues are also filled with author interviews, art features, book reviews and tips for writers. Most of our non-fiction pieces are invitation only to industry professionals and Deep Magic staff, but if you have a fantastic piece, please send it our way. Not all the authors we feature write exclusively clean fiction. We don’t judge. But everything you find inside Deep Magic will be.
– The Deep Magic Team
It may be helpful to read the following articles before submitting to help you understand what types of stories we’re looking for:
*An interview with Brendon Taylor, Deep Magic Board Member, on what we look for in a short story
*Three mistakes to avoid when writing a short story
“Without publications like Deep Magic, there would be no venues for such stories, and the world would be a more barren place.”–T.E. Bradford
We currently pay for short fiction work only and do so at the following rates:
For first world-wide rights, we pay $.06 per word for the first 9,999 words, with payment capped at $599 for stories longer than 10,000 words. For re-printed stories that are not currently available elsewhere on the internet for free, we pay $.02 per word for the first 10,000 words, with payment capped at $200 for stories longer than 10,000 words. We use Paypal for our authors.
Word Count Limits: 1,000 to 40,000; but note that we cap payment at 10,000 words. Format: We accept submissions in standard manuscript format, saved as .docx, .doc, or .rtf files. Information to Include: At the top of your submission, state your name (and pseudonym if you wish to be published under one), email address, mailing address, the story title, and word count. Response Time: We strive to respond to submissions within ten to twelve weeks, but our times may fluctuate. Please do not inquire within the first six months. Multiple and Simultaneous Submissions: No and No. Please only submit one story to us at a time; and we do not accept simultaneous submissions. We Do Not Publish the Following
- Stories with graphic violence
- Stories with mature sexual themes
- Stories with profanity or vulgarity. We want a broad, family-friendly audience; think original Lord of the Rings trilogy or Star Wars.
- Stories featuring or glorifying illegal drug use
- Stories with graphic child abuse or glorifying child abuse in any way
- Stories not within the Fantasy and Science Fiction Genres. It’s got to have some magic or cool technology in it!
- Poorly written stories
Via: Deep Magic.
- Taking Submissions: The Audient Void: A Journal of Weird Fiction and Dark Fantasy - October 18, 2019
- Guest Post: Embracing Failure: The Requirements of Growth - October 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Clockhouse - October 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Black & Grey - October 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Great Weather For Media - October 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec February Issue 2020 - October 16, 2019
- We’ve Partnered With Commaful For A Halloween Story Contest - October 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fiyah – Unthemed Issue - October 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Brave New Girls - October 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Best New True Crime Stories: Small Towns - October 14, 2019