- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation – Spooky & Spinetingling Tales October Issue
Deadline: September 20th, 2019
Submissions now OPEN
for the OCTOBER Issue
UNTIL September 20th
THEME – Spooky & Spellbinding Tales
Enchanted Conversation is looking for spooky and spellbinding fairy tales, folktales, or myths for the October issue. Check out last year’s issue HERE.
Work can either be re-tellings of established stories or use original characters as long as they are set within the fairy tale, folktale, or mythic templates.
Be bold, traditional, lyrical, or experimental in your storytelling, and enchant us with your original stories set in a variety of locations around the world and time periods from ancient to modern.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- STORIES between 700-2000 words with our sweet spot being around 1,200 words.
- PAYMENT FOR STORIES: $10.00 U.S. dollars only
- The upper limit 2,000 word count is FIRM. Stories over 2,000 words will not be considered.
- PAYMENT WILL BE MADE THROUGH PAYPAL ONLY.
- At the time of contract, authors will have the option of donating the token payment back to the magazine to help keep us running.
- Absolutely none of the following: Sci-fi, dystopian, erotica, excessive horror or gore, high fantasy, excessive world building, time-travel, futuristic or space travel.
- Also, DO NOT submit a story where the 1st person narrator dies at the end. That idea just doesn’t work for us. If your character must die, please make it a 3rd person account.
- We’re accepting only previously unpublished work.
- Only one work per writer per submission period.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine.
- AUTHORS who were published in previous issues are asked to wait 4 months (from the date of their issue) before they submit again.
BEFORE SUBMITTING READ THE TERMS BELOW
- Enchanted Conversation is buying first electronic rights with the possibility of using the work in a future print compilation. Authors will be informed if their work is chosen, and authors will always retain the right to decline being in the print compilation if they so choose.
- Authors also grant EC the nonexclusive right to archive their story on our website in perpetuity or until such time as we choose to remove it.
- EC reserves the right to edit accepted stories for clarity. In other words, EC will correct simple misspellings, typos, and occasionally break up a run-on sentence. If the issue is a matter of style or opinion, EC will contact you to discuss changes for your approval before it goes live.
- Once the story is published on the site, authors are free to shop it elsewhere.
- Copyright will always remain with the author.
- You are agreeing to these terms when you submit a story.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email all submissions to [email protected]
- Subject line of the email should be: OCTOBER ISSUE 2019 – your last name – title of your work. Example: OCTOBER ISSUE 2019 – Jones – “Story Title”
- A brief cover letter with the approximate word count of the story.
- Also provide a short (100 word max) author’s bio in third person and up to three links to the website or social media accounts that you would like to promote professionally if your story is chosen. These links are used to promote you as a writer via our website. We do not check out the accounts as part of the decision making process for the issue.
- Do not summarize your story in the cover letter.
- A PAYPAL ADDRESS must be included in the email. Without one, work will not be considered.
- Paste all submissions into the body of your email. ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE OPENED. We’re not kidding. Your email will be DELETED, UNREAD, if there is an attachment.
- Formatting for all stories: Single spacing. No indents on paragraphs. Double space between paragraphs. Use Arial as the font. Try to use American English word forms and punctuation.
- You will get a confirmation email that your work has been received.
- No editorial feedback will be given on submissions.
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE
- Due to the extremely high volume of submissions, and our limited resources, non-acceptance emails will not be sent out.
- The names of the authors whose works are chosen will be posted on the Enchanted Conversation website on SEPTEMBER 28, 2019 for the October Issue.
Via: Enchanted Conversation.
- Taking Submissions: The Audient Void: A Journal of Weird Fiction and Dark Fantasy - October 18, 2019
- Guest Post: Embracing Failure: The Requirements of Growth - October 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Clockhouse - October 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Black & Grey - October 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Great Weather For Media - October 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec February Issue 2020 - October 16, 2019
- We’ve Partnered With Commaful For A Halloween Story Contest - October 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fiyah – Unthemed Issue - October 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Brave New Girls - October 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Best New True Crime Stories: Small Towns - October 14, 2019