- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Cafe Doom’s Seventh Annual Short Story contest
October 30, 2011
Cafe Doom’s Seventh Annual Short Story contest
Deadline: October 30th, 2011
Payment: Prizes listed below
It was a real struggle getting things together this year, but we got there in the end. We are teaming-up with a promising and relatively new publishing company called One Buck Horror, for this year’s competition. Here are this year’s guidelines:
We’re looking for the best in original horror fiction in 3000 words or less: classically-styled tales in the tradition of writers like Richard Mattheson, Stephen King and Robert Bloch, yet wholly original and modern. We’re open to all themes and subgenres, as long as it’s effectively written and, above all, scary. The winning entry will be published in a future volume of One Buck Horror, and receive a professional payment rate of 5 cents per word.
All entries must conform to our submission guidelines, which can be found at www.onebuckhorror.com/submissions.
We’re sticking with the same format as the past few years, which is a fairly unusual way to run a comp, because all the entrants get to have their say about the stories and pick their favourites.
What happens is each entrant has to join the Cafe Doom forum (if they’re not already a member), then send their entry to blunted (at) cafedoom.com via an e-mail attachment in .rtf or .txt format, single spaced, line breaks instead of indents to denote paragraphs, and use BB Code to format any italics, etc.
In the body of the e-mail, they must state their forum name and the title of their story. DO NOT POST YOUR STORY IN THE BODY OF THE E-MAIL.
On 31st October, the day following the closing date of the competition, all the stories will be posted anonymously on one forum thread by the forum admin. Thereafter, and for the following seven days (may be extended to fourteen if we’re swamped with submissions), the entrants must read the entries, and vote for their top three favourite stories on another forum thread. Failure to vote will result in the entrant being disqualified and their story being stripped of its points. Christopher Hawkins will choose the winning stories from the top ten entries.
To summarise –
Prizes as follows:
1st place – Pro rate of pay, plus publication by One Buck Horror.
2nd place – $100 Amazon voucher.
3rd place – $50 Amazon voucher.
In addition to this I will give One Buck Horror anthologies to the authors of my three favourite stories.
Theme – open, horror.
Word limit – 3,000
Closing date – 30th October 2011
Be aware that One Buck Horror may require the author of the winning story to make changes to it in order to meet their editorial standards. As with any other market, the magazine will sometimes ask their authors to make a few edits and additions to keep the editor happy.
[via: Cafe Doom.]
- Taking Submissions: Nightmare Press Untitled Animal Horror Themed Anthology - November 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Rope Burns - November 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Shock Totem - November 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Takwin – A magazine of Islamicate Science Fiction - November 12, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 11/11/2018 - November 11, 2018
- An Interview With Carmelo Chimera Of Chimera’s Comics - November 9, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Story Seed Vault - November 9, 2018
- Video Refresh: Liz Butcher Interview - November 9, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation Magazine: OF FROST AND FIRELIGHT: A Winter’s Rhapsody - November 8, 2018
- Taking Submissions: With Painted Words: Memoiral - November 8, 2018