Deadline: March 1st, 2019
Payment: Contributor’s Copy
Note: Reprints Welcome
Thurston Howl Publications is now accepting submissions for its second volume of its HOWLERS series, Movie Monsters.
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Word count: 2,500-8,000; a little above and a little below will be acceptable
Wolfman, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Blob…All of these are examples of the classic movie monster. They are big, they are bad, and they are often mindless in their pursuits of the terrified protagonists. We want to see a collection of monster horror at its finest. For this editor, movie monster horror is best defined as literature that centers its conflict around a monster that is supernatural in origin. This genre typically does not have the suspenseful finesse of the slasher but instead focuses on sensory details and grotesque description to make readers terrified through the specificity of your creation. You are free to make a parody or spin-off of famous movie monsters, or you can create your own!
We will NOT accept:
Racism, sexism, or discrimination presented in a positive light.
Pedophilia or sex with characters under the age of 18 presented in a positive light.
Rape, torture, dubious consent, forced seduction presented in a positive light.
Snuff or Necrophilia presented in a positive light
Bestiality presented in a positive light
If you are in doubt, ASK. Better to ask then to get a straight up rejection! If you are unsure, just shoot me an email at [email protected] (restrictions borrowed from Voice: https://t.co/MWykJ6RY36)
You can submit up to three stories, but we will only accept one per author (if any).
Reprints are fine, but you have to own full permission of the work in order for us to consider it.
We will not accept simultaneous submissions.
Payment: Authors will receive a free copy of the print book.
Send submissions in .doc or .docx format to [email protected]
Title your email with the story title in all caps. If you are sending more than one submission, send multiple emails instead of putting them all in one.
We will inform all authors regarding decisions within a week or two after the deadline.
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Creatures - January 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 01/13/2019 - January 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Winters - January 11, 2019
- Video Refresh: Taking The Next Step - January 11, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: Unnatural Creatures – Aberrant Behavior - January 11, 2019