Our articles may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the links in this article we may receive a small commission or referral fee. This happens without any additional cost to you.
Once again, MasterClass has delivered a solid author’s teaching to learn fro as Joyce Carol Oates is teaching the art of something many who frequent this site tend to write – The Short Story. Oates has been “a literary treasure for more than 50 years” which is something that is hard to disagree with. In her career, the esteemed author has won the National Book Award, two O. Henry Awards, the National Humanities Medal, and the Jerusalem Prize. With over 58 novels and thousands of short stories, articles, essays, and more to her name you can now learn directly from her experiences over the years.
According to the MasterClass course description, you’ll be able to look forward to:
In 14 lessons, literary legend Joyce Carol Oates teaches you how to write short stories by developing your voice and exploring classic works of fiction. The author of some of the most enduring fiction of our time, Joyce Carol Oates has published 58 novels and thousands of short stories, essays, and articles. Now the award-winning author and Princeton University creative writing professor teaches you how to tap into your storytelling instincts. Find ideas from your own experiences and perceptions, experiment with structure, and improve your craft, one sentence at a time.
In this online MasterClass writing course, you’ll learn about:
• The principles of writing short stories
• Where to find short story ideas
• Connecting with readers through the taboo
• Journaling and self-expression
• Mining your experiences for story ideas
• Analyzing and constructing monologues
• Gaining inspiration and ideas by reading with intention
• Experimenting with different forms of writing
• Learning from examples of American short fiction
• Creative writing through self-exploration
If you need more convincing, here is the official trailer with Joyce Carol Oates sharing in her own words what you can expect from her class:
So, if you’re interested in taking the course, be sure to head over to MasterClass today!
- Taking Submissions: Cherry Tree - August 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Underground Writers Issue #28 - August 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: A Dysfunctional Family Christmas! - August 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: What Monsters Do For Love - August 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation – Spooky & Spinetingling Tales October Issue - August 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Nightscape Press Charity Collection Line Short Story Collections - August 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City - August 20, 2019
- ‘Ration’ Guest Post – It Starts With A Voice - August 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Death and Butterflies - August 19, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 08/18/2019 - August 18, 2019