- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Welcome To Pacific City
November 30, 2017
Deadline: November 30th, 2017
Payment: $15 (more depending on Kickstarter) and a contributor’s copy
Once again, we are inviting submissions from the world at large! WELCOME TO PACIFIC CITY is a sort-of shared world project: we name the place, you bring it to life through the mediums of science fiction, fantasy or horror. Stories should be set in our fictionalised Pacific City, and a key element should be heroism and/or villainy, be it “super” or otherwise. You can check here for an inspirational guide to the city, or download the short Pacific City Manifesto for other useful information.
However, although this is primarily a speculative fiction project, we are also open to stories that help make Pacific City feel like a real place. Not every inspiring (or insidious) story demands the out of the ordinary for impact — but if a masked avenger wanders by while you’re bringing us down to earth, well, that won’t do your chances any harm…
Although we can only offer a nominal fee up front, all contributors will also receive a physical copy of the collection. In addition, we plan to run a Kickstarter campaign prior to publication in an attempt to raise funds for increased author fees. The editor has previously organised two successful fiction-related campaigns, including one for our 2015 anthology — this is no guarantee of future success, but it bodes well!
- Maximum Word Count: 7,500.
- This is a very firm limit. Pieces between 2,500 and 5,000 words preferred. Flash fiction will be considered, but the longer a story the more it needs to impress.
- Submission Deadline: November 30th, 2017.
- Minimum Compensation: USD$15 on acceptance of contract, plus one contributor’s copy of the print-on-demand paperback on publication.
- All submissions must be the original work of the author — we will not accept any story incorporating copyrighted characters or material, fan fiction, etc.
- We require First Print and Digital rights, plus a six month period of exclusivity from the date of publication. All other rights remain entirely with the authors.
- While this anthology is intended for an adult readership, this is not a market for pornographic or offensively extreme content. “Artistic justification” is a good (if subjective) argument, and we shall (subjectively) assess each story according to its (subjective) merits.
- We welcome writers of any and all backgrounds and submissions exploring diverse perspectives, provided they do not seek only to attack or demean those of others.
- Acceptable document types are RTF, DOC or DOCX.
- Straightforward formatting is preferred for editorial convenience:
- Please use an easy-reading font (Times New Roman 12pt, etc.).
- Do not insert empty lines between paragraphs, or first-line indents.
- Use a single # to represent essential text breaks.
- Use italics for italics, don’t underline. Smart (“curly”) punctuation is fine.
- If your manuscript includes any unusual formatting, please alert the editors when submitting and have a really good, story-related reason.
All submissions should be emailed to Andrew at:
andrew [dot] leon [dot] hudson [at] gmail [dot] com
If you can’t figure out how to turn the above into a working email address, please consider this page your form rejection.
If you can, then we look forward to reading your submissions!
Via: Welcome To Pacific City.
- Taking Submissions: Crypt-Gnats: Horror you’ve been itching to read - June 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Sky’s The Limit - June 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Gimme the Loot: Stories Inspired by The Notorious B.I.G. - June 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions – Millhaven Horror/Dark Fantasy Edition 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Crash Code - June 19, 2018
- Video Refresh: Rejection – The Ugly Word - June 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: WhimsyCon 2019 Anthology - June 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Corpus Press Untitled 2019 Non-Themed Horror Anthology - June 18, 2018
- 5 More Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - June 18, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 06/17/2018 - June 17, 2018