- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Violent Delights And Midsummer Dreams (Early)
Submission Window: February 1st – April 1st, 2023
Payment: US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy
Theme: Shakespeare Retellings (Ideally with a gothic twist though that is not a requirement.)
Quill & Crow Publishing House is opening submissions for our second anthology of 2023, Violent Delights & Midsummer Dreams: An Anthology of Shakespeare Retellings.
For this collection, we are looking for Shakespeare retellings (5,000 – 8,000 words). We want stories that bring fresh new perspectives on the classic stories, bonus points for providing a Gothic twist. Give us Romeo & Juliet with zombies or the real story of the Wayward Sisters. Deconstruct tropes and bring unique voices to life.
Things we are looking for:
dark Shakespeare retellings
themes of death/darkness
modern settings considered ONLY if they maintain a Gothic feel
Things we are not looking for:
extreme horror/extreme erotica
overtly modern adaptations
Please note: Submissions that do not follow requirements will not be considered.
1. We are accepting original works only. You must own the copyright to your submission.
2. Submissions period is from Feb 1st – April 1st, 2023. Please submit all stories to [email protected] with the subject line: Violent Delights / Your Title / Genre. Emails sent to other emails will not be considered.
2. All submissions must be in English and follow standard MLA formatting (double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Work must be polished and edited (to the best of your ability). Please submit as a .docx file and include your name, title, and word count on the front page.
3. Story length is 5,000 to 8,000 words. Submissions below 5,000 words and above 8,000 words will not be considered.
4. Accepted authors will receive compensation per contract agreement (US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy).
5. We will only receive one submission per author, and please no reprints. Please do not contact any Quill & Crow employees on their social media accounts with submissions questions.
6. Please include a trigger warning in your query if your story has child abuse/death. We will not accept stories that have sexual assault (including adult content with animals) in them. Please do not submit these stories to us.
Via: Quill and Crow Publishing.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!