- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Universe of Attractions
December 31, 2020
Deadline: December 31st, 2021
Payment: $5 and royalties
Theme: Fantasy/Science Fiction/Speculative stories featuring a cross-species romance.
Note: Reprints welcome
I hereby announce that submissions are open for our very first anthology, Universe of Attractions! We are looking for Fantasy/Science Fiction/Speculative stories featuring a cross-species romance. Elves may be the champions of interspecies romance, but what about the others? What are some mythological races that usually are passed by? How do Venusians show their love? Do Alpha Centaurians get starstruck? Romance must be an essential part of the story, not just sprinkled on top, and the romance must contribute to character development. And because we are an all-inclusive press, you are not limited to any specific orientations. We’re not looking for hard porn, but sexual intercourse is allowed. You should keep the striptease rule in mind—the more you leave to the imagination, the better. And if you mention body parts, do know where those body parts are! Inaccurate anatomy will get your story rejected.
Length: the target range is between 2000-7500 words. We will consider works outside this, but they will be a harder sell.
Deadline: December 31, 2021. Target date for publication is June 2021.
Pay: $5, with a share of royalties after expenses are met. Payments will be made by Paypal, and will be sent upon receipt of a signed contract.
Guidelines: Failure to follow guidelines will get your story rejected, but you may resubmit if you correct your mistakes.
1) Submit your story as an *.rtf file attached to your cover letter.
2) One-inch margins, double-spaced text.
3) NO TABS! Use the paragraph formatting tool to indent the paragraphs, and use CENTER to place your section dividers.
4) NO page numbers or other headers or footers on the pages!
5) Mark your italics with an underscore before and after the italics.
6) On the first page, in the upper left hand corner, put your legal name, address, and email.
7) Below the title, put the name that you want the story to appear under. Use either your real name or a pen name.
8) On the subject line of the email, write “Universe of Attractions:(your title)(your last name)
9) In the cover letter, write the name, the approximate word count, if this is previously unpublished or a reprint, and tell us anything you want us to know.
10) Email to [email protected]
11) No multiple submissions. Please submit only one story at a time. If we reject your story, you may send another. Stories returned for submission errors may be resubmitted when those are corrected. Stories returned with a request for a rewrite may be resubmitted.
12) Final decisions will be made after the deadline.
13) Editors decisions are FINAL. Arguing with us will not get your story published, but it will get us pissed at you.
14) Address any questions to [email protected]
15) At the bottom of your cover letter, before your signature, write, “There are no green M&Ms in this manuscript.” Put this in even if there are green M&M’s in your manuscript.
Theme and guidelines will be published here and in our newsletter. (Sign up by sending us an email, see contact page for current email.) Please follow all guidelines, even the silly one, or your work will be rejected regardless of quality.
Via: Dead Fish Books.