- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: TBD Gothic Romance
September 30, 2022
Deadline: September 30th, 2022
Payment: $0.08 a word
Theme: Gothic romances that are equal parts horror and romance.
Submissions Open: August 1st through September 30th
Title: TBD Gothic Romance
Type: Anthology of short stories
Editors: Heather & S.D. Vassallo
Theme: We’re looking for gothic romances that are equal parts horror and romance.
The short stories should be mysterious, atmospheric, and include a HEA (or happy for
now). This is an open call with no slots reserved for invitation pieces. Women
(including transgender and people otherwise marginalized because of their gender
identity) and non-binary authors only.
– Horror and romance
– Happily ever after or at least happy for now
– Overwhelming sense of menace or dread
– Atmosphere (weather) and/or place prominently add to the story
– Traditionally spooky locations, such as old manor houses or decaying plantations
aren’t necessary, but the location should be spooky.
– Actual supernatural horror, implied supernatural horror, or psychological horror
– Haunted places/houses welcome
– Sizzle: anywhere from closed door to super sizzle welcome (but the sizzle must
drive the plot forward)
– Time period: anytime in the past or present
– Location: anywhere on Earth
– Extreme Horror (excessive gore, explicit sex just for gore/sex sake)
– Manuscripts that don’t follow the guidelines
– Women (including transgender and people otherwise marginalized because of
their gender identity) and non-binary authors only
– Short Stories 2,000 to 6,000 words
– First page should have your legal and author name, email address, word count,
and title of story
– Font 12 pt Garamond
– Double Spaced
– No headers, footers, or special formatting
– DOC, DOCx, or RTF format
– Up to 2 short stories per author (submit separately)
– Simultaneous submissions acceptable, please let us know if your piece is
– $0.08 a word
– Digital and paperback copy of anthology
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!