- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Stoneboat Literary Journal – Marking Time
Deadline: July 1st, 2019
Payment: Contributors copy
In celebration of our 10th anniversary, the theme for our upcoming issue is “Marking Time.” All submissions should relate to the theme in some way. We aren’t just looking for literal representations of time—we plan to dig deep and go beyond calendars, watches, aging, and other literal understandings of marking time. While we are certainly open to this type of work, we also seek fresh perspectives and loose interpretations of the ways that we mark (or don’t mark) the passage of time.
Please submit unpublished fiction up to 5000 words.
When submitting, please include:
- 3-5 unpublished poems in a single document OR unpublished fiction/nonfiction up to 5,000 words OR 3-5 pieces of visual artwork (color or b&w) OR a b&w photo essay with 5-10 photographs OR a b&w comic OR b&w graphic literature of up to 20 pages
- Cover letter
- Brief bio (3-4 sentences max; can be included in cover letter)
The editorial staff might not make final decisions about which pieces to accept until after the reading period closes, so response time can be several months. Our process is to look at all of the submissions as a whole and give each piece the full consideration it deserves. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Gratuity Submissions: We don’t believe in charging reading fees, but our optional Gratuity Submission category allows writers and artists to support our operations with a small donation when they submit. No preferential treatment is given for gratuity submissions. This category, however, is open year round whereas we only accept free submissions during designated reading periods. Please identify the genre of your submission (poetry, fiction, nonfiction, b&w art, photo essay, graphic literature) in your cover letter.
Please submit only once per reading period. In addition, we are unlikely to publish a writer or artist in two consecutive issues because we want to provide our readers with as much variety as possible.
Regarding simultaneous submissions:
We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know as soon as possible if your work has been accepted elsewhere. We have had some trouble in the past when authors had failed to withdraw their work and we had planned to include it in our upcoming issue. We know wait times can be long, and we don’t want to keep you from placing your work — we just need to know the status of your submission. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please use Submittable to withdraw it, or send an email to [email protected].
Stoneboat requires first North American serial rights, and rights revert to the author upon publication. If your work is selected for the print edition, you will receive one complimentary contributor copy and will have the opportunity to purchase additional copies at a reduced rate. All contributors, both print and online, will be invited to read their work at an issue release reading in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.
All are welcome to submit. We look forward to receiving your best poems, stories, essays, photo essays,comics, graphic literature, and art. Thank you for your interest in Stoneboat!
Via: Stoneboat’s Submittable.
- Taking Submissions: The One and Future Kingdom - September 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Other Stories (Vol 46.) Beyond Death - September 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Cosmic Roots And Eldritch Shores - September 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Underbelly Magazine #5 - September 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glitter + Ashes: Queer Tales of a World That Wouldn’t Die - September 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: “Deep Underground” Novellas - September 18, 2019
- Contest: Tales From The Moonlit Path: Halloween Special Edition - September 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Resistance Art Attack - September 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: LampLight Magazine - September 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trouble Among The Stars #4 - September 16, 2019